The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shanny can you move this to the recipe forum, not sure how it got here, Thanks

Here is the recipe for the instant oatmeal like. If you do not want to go thru all of this I just make now by boiling a cup of water with coconut oil and a dash of salt, then add 1 cup of Almond meal and a 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed, small handfull of pecans. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add a tab of butter, cinn. and splenda to taste.

I had a thread earlier about a replacement for Oatmeal, but I have tweaked this to fit my morning schedule and it is wonderful. I like it better than Oatmeal myself.

In my food processor I mixed 3 cups of Almond flour with 1 cup of ground flaxseed, Splenda, salt and Cinnamon. I then mixed in some Pecan pieces.

I bagged this up in small ziplocks 2/3 cup in each bag.

I boil nearly a cup of water with 2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil, add the contents of the ziplock and cook until it is done, about 3-5 minutes. Pour it in a bowl, add a tab of butter a little heavy cream, man its good.

I haven't tried it in the microwave, but I am sure it is quite doable as well.

Here is the odd thing. FBG this morning 72, coffee with sugar, art sweeteners, coconut oil, heavy cream. breakfast 30 minutes later. A 2 mile walk and my 1 hr PP is 73, I thought I would rebound back into the low 90's high 80's at 2 hr PP, but still 77. Don't ask me why, but I will enjoy it while it lasts.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Shanny can you move this to the recipe forum, not sure how it got here, Thanks

Here is the recipe for the instant oatmeal like. If you do not want to go thru all of this I just make now by boiling a cup of water with coconut oil and a dash of salt, then add 1 cup of Almond meal and a 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed, small handfull of pecans. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add a tab of butter, cinn. and splenda to taste.

I had a thread earlier about a replacement for Oatmeal, but I have tweaked this to fit my morning schedule and it is wonderful. I like it better than Oatmeal myself.

In my food processor I mixed 3 cups of Almond flour with 1 cup of ground flaxseed, Splenda, salt and Cinnamon. I then mixed in some Pecan pieces.

I bagged this up in small ziplocks 2/3 cup in each bag.

I boil nearly a cup of water with 2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil, add the contents of the ziplock and cook until it is done, about 3-5 minutes. Pour it in a bowl, add a tab of butter a little heavy cream, man its good.

I haven't tried it in the microwave, but I am sure it is quite doable as well.

Here is the odd thing. FBG this morning 72, coffee with sugar, art sweeteners, coconut oil, heavy cream. breakfast 30 minutes later. A 2 mile walk and my 1 hr PP is 73, I thought I would rebound back into the low 90's high 80's at 2 hr PP, but still 77. Don't ask me why, but I will enjoy it while it lasts.
I realize this thread is an older one, but IMHO it is worthy of being "bumped". I tried Marty's recipe this morning in the microwave and it works very well. I had to watch my microwave as it is an older model and sometimes things boil over very quickly. The best part in addition to tasting great, is that my bg barely went up at all. I expected a quick rise like regular oatmeal, but it just didn't happen. YMMV, but this is a "keeper" at my house. ;)

Reactions: MCS and Mar2a

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Mar2a ~

I mixed the dry ingredients with the water and the coconut oil and then 'nuked' it for 2 minutes - all the while watching the bowl on the turntable. Took it out of the microwave and it didn't look quite done, so just stuck it back into the microwave for 15 second intervals. I think it was about 2 min 45 sec with my microwave. Your time may vary as the microwave at our house seems to be ornery at times and does what it wants to do.

As I am insulin dependent I was quite surprised to be able to eat hot cereal w/o a huge spike. In fact I grossly over-estimated the possible carbohydrate count and had a hypo about an hour later. Tomorrow I will definitely adjust my insulin down-ward. If you like 'cream-of-wheat' type cereals you might like this. Thanks Marty :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Eating some right now, changed it up a bit, did not use cinnamon, instead I put in some banana flavoring (extract) and some sweetener, used walnuts and pecans, and some hazelnut meal (cause I had it handy). Delicious banana nut oatmeal.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a large bowl full Saturday. Its like 2000 cal a bowl and I get desperately hunger in about 2.5hrs. I think this because it tends to drop my BG level. But its good ain't it.

Reactions: stewchi

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes, but I will hitting the gym today for sure, maybe I will do you like you said and mix it up dry so I can spread it out to several more manageable servings. I have only been this full a few times since dx, this is foreign territory.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Do you actually have to mix it up in a food processor if the almond flour and flax meal are already ground? Couldn't you just mix it in a bowl?
I did it in a food processor to be able to mix a large amount at one time, its not necessary. I pretty much make a bowl at a time now.

I try to mix the flaxseed in a 1/4 ratio with the almond flour, then the whole thing is around a 2/1 ratio with the boiling water.

1/2 cup almond flour, 1/8 cup flaxseed, 1 cup of water. You have to play with it until you get the consistency you like. The more flaxseed you use, the more stickyer this stuff becomes.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just mixed them in the bowl and crumbled the pecans by hand. Next time I will probably put all the pecans in the blender/prcessor and make several batches at once. I also ordered some Davinci SF Banana syurp to put in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts