The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally don't like being touched by anyone, but my legs have been hurting so much lately that I am considering getting some massage therapy. The discomfort is below the knee and my feet, so I would just get the massage on my lower legs and feet.

Has anybody done this? Is there anything in particular I need to be concerned about regarding the diabetes? Do I need to look for someone that specifically works on diabetics or will any massage person be ok? The YMCA I am a member at offers massage, which would work out well for me because my daughter can go to the kid's area, rather than be bored waiting for me.

Thanks for the help with that!

Now I just need to vent a minute. I sent an email to a local email group I belong to, asking for recommendations for massage therapists, that are not expensive. I mentioned that I didn't want to go to a spa or pedicure place because I was worried about germs and getting a foot infection. I mentioned that I was concerned about that because my mom had a leg amputation. Well, one lady wrote back and said she thought I was going to say I needed a place that didn't charge an arm and a leg. Sigh, I suppose that could be funny, but considering I mentioned my mom's amputation, I guess I didn't think so. :confused: Guess I am just overly sensitive about all of this right now. Mom's in danger of losing her other foot and has been in the hospital for about 15 weeks now. Thanks for letting me vent! :)

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Mom's in danger of losing her other foot and has been in the hospital for about 15 weeks now. Thanks for letting me vent! :)
Tough stuff. :hug: I'll be sending all positive energy in her direction for the best outcome possible.

I don't know about special massage for diabetics. I have a chronic pain condition and when I've gotten a massage I let them know about it and take my cues from my body. If it starts to hurt or not feel right then I speak up -

My non-medical opinion is that you should be fine w/ a regular massage.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I went to an osteopath and it was great. It's more total body experiance and that your body can heal itself. More pulling and pushing, king of in between a chiro and a massage therapist. It helps with blood flow too.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
She sure was thoughtless in her choice of words. Why not use the Y? I never even thought of that being a problem. Maybe someone else will know more. I can't blame you about the spas. Luckily, there is one here that is safe. She's a transplanted east Texan and uses only disposable things and autoclaves her metal items. The massage will be good. I too, have some numbness in my calves, so I try to rub them at least once a day and I believe it helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As a massage therapist I can chime In here. Massage is very, very beneficial for diabetics. Especially in the leg regions. It stimulates the nerve endings and temporarily relieves most of the pain.

The only thing that I would not recommend is anything hot like hot stone or a rain massage.

Find a registered massage therapist that is associated to a state or National association of massage therapy. I work full time in Canada at a spa and it is very clean and every therapist is certified. Do not get a foot massage from pedicures places, not really the massage that u would be looking for.

I would recommend a full massage including arms back neck but ask that they emphasize on the legs and feet and do mention to them why u are there and it is due to your diabetes.

Hope this helps and if u have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts