The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the conversion for figuring my A1c from my Meter? I would like to compare the results on my next A1c test with my average from the meter.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What is the conversion for figuring my A1c from my Meter? I would like to compare the results on my next A1c test with my average from the meter.
This is the formula I use.

eAG(mg/dl) = (28.7 X HbA1c) – 46.7

estimated average glucose in mg/dl = your A1c number times 28.7 minus 46.7

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a caveat, actually a couple. Just in case of discrepancies between your A1C and your meter rating.

If you send your blood to 10 different labs, you're likely to get 10 slightly different A1C readings. They all test and read the values slightly different. I believe at the clinic I visit versus the lab I get blood work done, the result will be at least 1 point higher at the clinic.

A1C's are more weighted towards the previous few weeks of blood glucose levels.

If you routinely spike for short periods of time, that will be weighed in the average on the meter. However, they will be less likely to show up on the A1C. It may take an entire day of high blood glucose levels to have a significant impact on the A1C.

The A1C is an overall average, 24 hours of the day, for the past 3 months. The meter is an average of single points (only when you test) over the past 3 months.

Just something to keep in mind while comparing results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts