The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Welcome Matto :) So you were recently diagnosed type 1? It takes a bit to get your head around everything. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Matto! :welcome:

Glad you found us ... sorry you had to.

Please join us often!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Matto . . . you've posted quite a cryptic message - wanna tell us what you mean? What does the "12" stand for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is actually Matt's father.
Yes, the news has hit the family like ton of bricks.
He is still a kid, wanting to play 24x7 but I worry much about his condition.
I wonder if he hit a low while playing would he or some around him know what to do.
I worry about him get a hypo while asleep; I admit some of these maybe totally unfounded but that comes with being new to all this.... Any comfort from those who has been there would help much.
How do I get him to take his shots in other then his arms?

Regards,
Newly d'xd.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Much better . . . I'm very glad to find an adult in charge of this account.

Matt is too young to be a member, but we'd be delighted to have you sir, with us & help you in any way we can.

Now I'll step aside & make room for our type 1 members. :)

This is actually Matt's father.
Yes, the news has hit the family like ton of bricks.
He is still a kid, wanting to play 24x7 but I worry much about his condition.
I wonder if he hit a low while playing would he or some around him know what to do.
I worry about him get a hypo while asleep; I admit some of these maybe totally unfounded but that comes with being new to all this.... Any comfort from those who has been there would help much.
How do I get him to take his shots in other then his arms?

Regards,
Newly d'xd.

O

·
0 Posts
oh that would be hard for any family to deal with... my thoughts with you.
I inject in my stomach... not sure if that may be an idea for Matt?
I understand your concern about hypos as it's a real concern just as much as going too high with BGLs. Since being on insulin myself I've had more hypos. But being a parent of a diabetic child you'd be looking out for the symptoms... and they do differ from person to person. Just keep monitoring as closely as you can. I should add that my endo and doc have advised me that you do wake up when you have a hypo... well I do most of the time I've noticed. You may want to consider getting a pump with a glucose monitoring system attached if things are hard to handle. Keep us posted on how things go.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I don't think any of our regular members have a child with diabetes. It is very difficult to get a child your son's age to cooperate. There is another site especially created for parents of diabetic children. They will have better help for you there. Here is the link:

children with DIABETES Online Community

Good luck to you and your son.

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts