21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Tonight's batch:
1 stick butter, 8T
1 C cream
1/4 C splenda

Follow regular directions for heating the butter, then adding the cream/sweetener.
Line bottom of a flat soup bowl with pecans, pour thickened mix over the pecans, cool till it starts solidifying, then sprinkle pecans on top.
I used about 2oz pecans. I just noticed that a stick of butter is 4 oz so I should have used 1/2 C cream and 2 T splenda. It is still really good.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Tarnation, David! Are you reading my mind or camped out in my kitchen somewhere?! :cool:

I did this tonight too, using only 1/2 cup cream, and I added a beaten egg to it. Lined a coupla small au gratin dishes with pecan halves, poured in the caramel/egg mixture & decorated with a sprinkle of Ideal brown sugar substitute. It was incredibly delicious! OWC thought he'd died & gone to heaven - he's the pecan pie fanatic around here.

I used splenda also, but the liquid version, so fewer carbs.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That looks amazing!
With MCS's idea I am now thinking of making the butterscotch caramel and pouring it over pork rinds and covering in cinnamon. Crunchy sweet cinnamon treat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Why can I not make this fat bomb??!!!

It seperates and it is more white or yellow.

It tastes good, but is liquidy, not thick.

I had some on my pork rinds however, and thought I had died and gone to heaven!!

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Why can I not make this fat bomb??!!!

It seperates and it is more white or yellow.

It tastes good, but is liquidy, not thick.

I had some on my pork rinds however, and thought I had died and gone to heaven!!
The first step is to brown the butter and get a nice golden color. It will not come out as dark as caramel. If you go too far, the solids will separate out.

The second step is to cook the sweetener and cream until it boils, let it continue to boil until the bubbles slow down and the sauce becomes sticky. If you lift your spoon out, it will coat the back of it. If you don't cook it long enough at this step it won't thicken.

The third step is to take off heat and continue to stir until it is completely cooled. If you stop too soon, it can separate.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I will try again, Daytona. Maybe the third time is a charm!

I can't get the butter to brown. Do you use high or low heat?
The original instructions say low heat, when I did the batch pictured I used a medium setting because I had a full stick of frozen butter to start. The pictured batch also has double the original recipie worth of cream. I mixed up ounce and tablespoon measurements. (8T butter -4oz- and 8oz cream in my batch.) I also did not stir till cooled, and there are spots where the butter separated out and pooled on top of the mix.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Oops, I did everything on high heat and stirred like a madwoman. That is just my approach to life. :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I had to turn up the heat too, but I not as high as you, Daytona! lol!

But my stove has about ten settings for the burners, and I used somewhere around three for this, plus I used a heavy saucepan that retains heat well. I also made a bigger batch, and it took for freakin' ever for it to brown, and then for the cream to boil down.

I couldn't help wondering, as I stood there stirring/stirring/stirring, if the microwave would work in this instance?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts