The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a follow up with my doctor next Friday. I was first on Metformin then on Glumetza which is the extended version of the same thing.

The side effects have been very bad on both. Any other oral Meds I can bring up to try during my visit?

I dont want to sound like a baby but if they put me on insulin I don't think I will be able to inject it into myself, therefore, I feel I won't take it the way I should.

- Jen

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
There are other oral meds but they all come with some side effects. There are different sulfyurea drugs which force your pancreas to make more insulin. Amyrl, Glimperide or Glipizide are types of sulfyurea drugs. The main side effect is going way too low because your pancreas makes too much insulin. There is also Januvia and Onglza. Both are newer drugs and quite pricey. The main side effects are sinus problems, headaches, joint pain and possible pancreatitis. There are also 2 newer incretin drugs called Byetta and Victoza. Theser are injectible similar to insulin but they control bgs in a different way. The main side effect is nausea and loss of appetite. Quite frankly a long acting insulin which helps support your own basal insulin production is probably one of the safest drugs. The insulin now comes in pens and you can attach very thin needles which is less pain than a bg test.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Metformin can take quite a while to get used to. For some people their systems never can handle it, and others don't find it worth it. I wanted to take it so badly that I suffered through living on hope, and in the end it worked for me. I take 1000 mg ER 2x/day but it took maybe 6 months until I was finally fully okay with it. I still get a very occasional bout, but nothing that interferes with life.

I'm sympathetic w/ needle phobia; I have it bad. But - I understand the pens aren't more intense than checking blood sugar, and think once you got over the initial squeamish hurdle you'd be fine. To my mind, insulin would be a lot better than a pancreas-stimulating drug. The only med that doesn't do that is metformin.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. That is wonderful information and I can't wait for my appointment to discuss with the doc.

I will try and stay with Metformin as long as I can but I can tell you it's really taking a toll on my body. It's like having the flu without the fever. lol

Thanks again!

Jen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts