The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I heard somewhere that if you are on Metformin your medical ID should state that as Metformin can interact with other meds that they may give you. Informing them that you are diabetic would be important so they can consider that your condition could be due to diabetes. I don't wear one because I'm rarely out without my husband, but if I would get one, I would like a pendant that would attach to my sterling silver bracelet. I think if it has the medical alert emblem on it they would notice it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
bracelets

How many of you wear Medical Id Bracelets? And any suggestions on the best place to get one?? I have never wore one but I think maybe I should be:)
I just ordered (finally) silicone bracelets (like the "live strong") but these have stainless id on it as well and i engraved what i wanted engraved - Diabetic - Type 2 and i also included allergies
haven't received them as of yet, but will keep you posted - figured that i was used to wearing this type of bracelet (i have cancer one) and wouldn't be a problem in the water or if i lost - not expensive
K.

·
Registered
298 Posts
They have some medical alert bracelets that has a USB built in where the dr can just plug you into a computer and get information. But thats once you have reached a hospital. The stainless steel ones are on EBAY relatively cheap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only on the wrist...

If you wear socks under jeans hospitals here are told to look for any I d on ankle
Only wear medical ID on the wrist; NOT on the ankle; please everyone.

I was told by multiple EMT's (Emergency Medical Technicians) the first place they look for a medical ID is on the wrist. Also, due to the emergency nature of the situation, they often do not have time to search another location for a medical ID.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Only wear medical ID on the wrist; NOT on the ankle; please everyone.

I was told by multiple EMT's (Emergency Medical Technicians) the first place they look for a medical ID is on the wrist. Also, due to the emergency nature of the situation, they often do not have time to search another location for a medical ID.
The one who suggested the ankle is from the UK. That is a place they look for ID bracelets across the pond. We have members all over the world, but the forum is UK based.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
You might try MedicAlert Foundation. They have a variety of styles of ID at reasonable prices (under $20 for some). Also you can keep medical information with them that the doctor or emergency responders can easily contact. :madgrin:

It apparently functions globally, so if you're a traveller, it can help.

Memberships & Medical IDs | MedicAlert Foundation

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
This thread's got me thinking. During the summer, we're out a lot, and my son and I are on the beach a lot, too, and in the immense heat where you never-know-what- could happen. My son was born with a speech disorder, and the medics would probably not understand him, even though my son knows I am diabetic and on medication. I checked out a few of the sites suggested, and a few of the bracelets are very attractive looking. I am really glad this thread was started.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been wearing 1 for 2 years now. I actually have 3 different ones depending on my mood and what I am wearing. They are registered with medic alert (costs me $5 per month) and in case of an emergency all they do is call medic alert, give them my number and all my medical information is there ... in one place. When registering for it I had to give them emergency phone numbers, Dr. name and phone number, any meds I am on and any alergies. $5 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind I have by wearing them. You never know what can happen and I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 2 different ones, and am always wearing one. I have a silver bracelet that says "Type 1 Diabetic" and a black rubber one (the colored kind that people always wear, like the Livestrong bracelets) that says "Diabetic". I got them both for $12 on Amazon. They have alot of different kinds for very fair prices. There are also some that you can customize, or buy and have customized somewhere else. I like wearing mine, because I know that if there was an emergency, a hospital would be able to treat me faster.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have been wearing a bracelet from MedicAlert (link already given earlier in thread) for years for drug allergies. I need to update it to include that I'm Diabetic 2. I have a lifetime membership with them, but that's not available anymore.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I posted this before, but when I was riding my motorcycle I use to wear an alert with family info. I got that from a company called road ID. When I was put on inuslin I got the unit that has a yearly fee for keeping all my medical information in one place. If you look at the Stainless steel label ont he rubber bracelet on my right wrist you will see: IDDM - My Full name w/DOB and then a 800 number with a web site, you can call or look it up. On the back is my id number to access the info. In the info I have medical information including diagnosis/medications/dosing/PMH/PSH/PFMH, insurance information as well as who I am, not just a diabetic. I asked them to do their best and feel this little bracelet could save my life some day. I kayak fish in the everglades a lot and think I have some connection should they find my body half eating by alligators floating in a plastic yellow boat ;)

Here is the site with the one I have. It is the interactive version:

the Wrist ID Slim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the dog tag with the USB drive from American Medical ID. It has all my medical information on it. I wear it around my neck.
The only time I remove it is when I shower...or get in a pool. I just had to update it and add the diabetes and the new meds I'm on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would like to get a charm to wear on my charm bracelet. I want an engravable one so I can have both DM and heart indicated on it, but the problem is, I don't want a really big one. I realize that medical personnel might not notice it among the other charms on my bracelet. I heard somewhere that you should also indicate if you are on Metformin because it interacts with other meds they may want to give you. I am rarely alone so 99% of the time my husband would be there to tell them my medical info, but I doubt if he would remember the name Metformin. He doesn't even know the names of the 2 blood pressure meds he takes. He calls them the big pill and the little pill.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
You would be surprised at just how much info "big BP pill" and "little BP pill" actually gives to a doctor. Considering that size shape and color are all patented for each med. it's like saying "I take a horse pill twice a day for D". Only thing missing, for a doc, is the actual dosage.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You would be surprised at just how much info "big BP pill" and "little BP pill" actually gives to a doctor. Considering that size shape and color are all patented for each med. it's like saying "I take a horse pill twice a day for D". Only thing missing, for a doc, is the actual dosage.
I used to work in a mail-order pharmacy and we used to get notes from people saying they need a refill of their little pink pills. That request required a patient call. LOL

I suppose if my husband said big or little pill to his doctor the doctor would know what he's on because it's in his chart, but an EMT probably would not know.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts