The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how often Medicare requires an A1C to be done if you are on an insulin pump?

Also, since I am new to Medicare - does a person have to change secondary insurance providers when 'open enrollment' comes around? I've been pestered by insurance companies wanting me to switch to "their" company :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, however, I suggest that you search the Medicare website - URL =
Medicare.gov

You are not required to change secondary insurance companies, but I urge you to talk to your current insurance company and find out what plan would be best for you and your circumstances. Ask about the premium for that and premium for "Medicare advantage plans".

On the site is a listing of Medicare supplemental plans and premiums that you should take time to look at.

There is a lot of information on the site to plan to take the time. After your first year you will receive a booklet, unless to opt for reading the new updates on site.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We've never been bothered to switch our Medigap carrier, but we sure get deluged by the Part D companies. It's very exasperating, but it's very necessary. One year we didn't reassess, and the company we were with totally upped the ante. The old woodchopper is on some high-priced stuff, and we really got taken when they dropped one from their formulary. Now we sit down with our pharmacist, who lines up all the comparisons & gives us his take on it - then we can make an informed decision.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I know Open Enrollment is earlier this year. As Shanny said you need to sit down with someone who understads your medical needs and check each company to see if they have changed what they cover. I know for the Insulin Pump they require a C Peptide test with a pretty low result to qualify for a pump. But I would check all companies to see which ones cover pump supplies.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
The medicare website is awesome. During open enrollment, you can put in all your meds and see the costs of your choices, and play around with various quantities and meds to see how it changes. It will show what insurers cover which meds and give you the bottom line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts