The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an insulin pump user with type 1 diabetes and multiple other endocrine issues…….and on Medicare. I have had the same endocrinologist for many years. Recently tho I cannot get an appointment with him within the three month window to get no cost pump supplies from Medicare. My last appointment netted me a new appointment almost six months out. i am struggling to find another endocrinologist that takes new patients. any ideas?

· Super Moderator
10,755 Posts
Hi Pat, welcome to the forum. I guess his/her office understands the need, if not you might have to explain that to them. I'm not on insulin so I haven't looked into the rules for pump use on Medicare. Does it have to be an endo or can your primary care physician take care of it if needed?

Reactions: Barb d H

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pat, welcome to the forum. I guess his/her office understands the need, if not you might have to explain that to them. I'm not on insulin so I haven't looked into the rules for pump use on Medicare. Does it have to be an endo or can your primary care physician take care of it if needed?
Yes, they know the rules/need. On Medicare….all pump supplies and insulin are at no cost as long as patient has a visit with a physician every three month interval and the correct paperwork is submitted to Medtronic. As far as I can tell, primary care doctors cannot read or adjust the pump/meters to keep me on a good track. On the pump, my A1c hovers around 6.6, I doubt I can come near that without the pump. I have reached out to my primary care, but its been a week now with no response. I recently got a Continuous Glucose Meter to try to get my A1c down even further. But I havent used it yet, as will need routine care from my endo also.

· Super Moderator
10,755 Posts
Maybe you can get your primary to take care of the things between endo visits and use your endo to help fine tune things. There may be a couple of books you might check to see if your local library has or can get for reference on using a pump or CGMs between endo visits, Pumping Insulin by John Walsh for pumps and Practical CGM: Improving Patient Outcomes through Continuous Glucose Monitoring 4th ed. Edition by Gary Scheiner for CGMs. You can find them on Amazon if your library can't get them. These could offer enough practical education that you could use to feel comfortable to make adjustments to your pump settings inbetween endo visits even if they were 3 months apart. Life changes daily and may not wait on doctor appointments.

As I said earlier I don't use insulin, I also don't use a CGM, but I would think the CGM manufacturer rep would be more in line to providing routine care for it than a doctor. Maybe one of the CGM users will chime in on what they do with theirs.

Reactions: itissteve

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for listening. I do already adjust the pump settings on my own. But it is ….. comforting anyway… to check in with an expert. I am 76 years old and sometimes don't trust myself, especially as I keep aging. This is mostly about endocrinologists being so scarce I fear. Diabetes is just one of my endocrine diseases. But I may have to keep seeing my current endo for all that other stuff and find somewhere else for the diabetes. Seems stupid, but I cannot change our current system.

I did get an appointment this morning….in a couple months….with a nurse in an endocrinology office. her credentials say OBGYN is her speciality. this office currently has NO endos working there.

· Super Moderator
10,755 Posts
Well as long as she can take care of your paperwork requirements and doesn't tell you that your pregnant. :ROFLMAO:o_O

I have one Endo within one 50 miles of me that I wouldn't use, 2 about a 75 miles away, and 6 about 100 miles away. I'd have to move if I needed to see one often.

Reactions: Barb d H

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as long as she can take care of your paperwork requirements and doesn't tell you that your pregnant. :ROFLMAO:o_O

I have one Endo within one 50 miles of me that I wouldn't use, 2 about a 75 miles away, and 6 about 100 miles away. I'd have to move if I needed to see one often.

Yeah, i am 300 miles from Seattle, in the boonies. I cannot let this push me out of my home. Pregnant at 76 would be ……novel and exhausting and …..sickening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts