The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried meditating? Since I started my readings have gone down from an average of 6.2 to a 5.6 and that is over a month, not just a couple days.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
716 Posts
PC76 said:
Has anyone tried meditating? Since I started my readings have gone down from an average of 6.2 to a 5.6 and that is over a month, not just a couple days.
Could be a stress. If I had the time and was not under so much stress I would do it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As in I'm relaxing more?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do it 10-15 minutes a day, that is all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Had a small crash course in Ayurveda. Was quite interesting!

The teacher told us of the 'corpse' position. :eek: It was called something else but the teacher kept refering to it as 'corpse position'. It's intense relaxation. It works after a while, once you get the hang of it. Believe me, it's hard not to think and not to fidget. It is supposed to revive you, to energize you. The teacher suggested we do this after work, or after a long hard day instead of guzzling down a coffee to get more energy. Not that I would ever do that :D.

I must say... it works as far as energy goes. I never thought to test my sugars though. Your thread about meditation made me curious about my levels now. Well at the time I started this corpse thingie I wasn't testing. Yes. Guilty as charged! :eek:

Stress does impact on diabetes.

Basically what you need to do is find a comfy spot where you will just lie there for about 15 to 20 minutes. You have to make sure there will be no interruptions, no phone, no TV, no radio, no kids, no pets. Nothing! Just like a corpse... you just lie there. A corpse wouldn't answer the phone now would it? :boink:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes exactly, complete silence. It's hard, I got 2 small kids but I usually do it after they go to bed. It reallt helps me calm but I still need a lot of work to do to get stress free. I'm reading a book on minful meditation, it is amazing. It's called Wherever you go, There you are by Jon Kabat Zinn. He also teaches you to stay in the moment.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My kids are older (18 and 20) but sometimes I think I'd rather have 10 little kids running around the house instead. Wanna swap? :D

I'm wondering if a stress free state is really achievable... One can when meditating I guess, with practice, but it is really conceivable in your every day life? I wonder. I wish I could accomplish it!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah, I kind of like my kids, I think I'll keep em.

Yeah true, let me clarify a bit, nopt really a stress free life but a stress free of things that shouldn't bother me. Just living and not worrying as much. It does help but you do get thrown off a bit and don't do it, circumstances come up.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yes it IS the corpse position -- Savasana.

I was doing yoga with my kids about a year ago and found it beneficial. I may try to resume it once we get the family room put back together.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes it IS the corpse position -- Savasana.
Thank you! I wasn't too sure. The teacher was fun and a bit eccentric. I didn't know if she was joking or not :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I used to do a long yoga class and she would end it with a 30 minute shavasana. She had a very soothing voice and would walk us through meadows and forests while relaxing every part of our body. My bgs were always great after those classes. I have a couple of relaxing DVD's, I just have to make a point of using them. Thanks for the reminder that getting rid of stress is important.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My bgs were always great after those classes.
I really need to test my sugars and see what happens. I'm curious! :)

Don't they say stress is a killer? I truly believe it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts