The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd recently brought up doing keto (very low carb - 20 to 50g a day) diet to my doctor. She said it would not be good for me, because one of the meds I'm on requires me to eat carbs for the meds to work.

I'm on Glucovance and Actos... neither of which seem to require carbs. Anyone heard of something like this before??

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Never. Your dr is full of poop

Reactions: alanthiana

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi from another Buckeye. We are actually going down to Columbus for my daughters Graduation from Denison, this weekend. I think what your doctor is referring to is the Glucovance. It is a combination of Glyberide and Metformin. Glyberide is in a class of drugs called sulfonyureas. They don't need carbs to work but they force your pancreas to overproduce insulin regardless of what you eat. One of the side effects is bgs going too low. This is why many dieticians encourage us to eat more carbs than we need. I do about 30-50 carbs most days and I am on the maximum amount of metformin and never have problems with lows. I would ask her to switch your meds so you can do the very low carb diet. There is a lot of contraversy about sulfyurea drugs because they are thought to burn out your pancreas sooner.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@TBP - I've often thought that myself. Thinking I should probably find a more diabetic-friendly doctor...

@ jwags - Congrats on your daughter's graduation! I have a 3 month followup coming at the end of June... I'll broach the subject of changing meds then.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts