The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am going to be flying to D.C. in a couple of weeks to spend a few days with the gf. I know I can carry my insulin, syringes, lancets, testing kit, glucagon, etc. on the flight and I have read the TSA and AirTran info about the process. I know I need to have the professionally labeled insulin in order to carry needles, etc. My question is this: does anyone have any advice on how to make the process of getting through security as easy as possible? Any tips or tricks?
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare so you're not stressed when the line snakes around the airport and the nearby coliseum. :)

Have fun!

G

·
I'm going to be faced with the same dilemma in less than 2 weeks. I'm just going to carry it in my handbag as it's a very short trip. I'm hoping that will be Ok. I generally just inject wherever I am though... so I'm hoping I can do the same on the flight and they don't freak out on me. I'm not keen on injecting in toilets.

·
Registered
633 Posts
just put it all in something that can go throught the scaner. I just flew and I put all my pump suplies and my extra and my camera in a clear topped tackel box and away we went. It only took 35 to 40 minutes for me to get through after going through all the scans and taking off my shoes and getting a pat down. and a hand swab after rubbing my pump and I was good to go.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I always put my insulin pens in the plastic bag with my liquids and carry the rest of my kit (meter, syringes, etc.) in my purse, which goes through the scanner. I've not encountered any problems. If I'm on a long trip and need to keep several insulin pens refrigerated, I carry a cooler bag with an icepack and ask the TSA agent if he/she wants to hand check it before I put it through the scanner - they've never wanted to.

Jen

·
Registered
261 Posts
I flew to D.C. last winter had everything in a little bag in my big purse. I informed them what was in there and they didn't question or look at it both there and back other than running the whole purse thru the scanner which they do anyway.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yep, I fly every week Joshua and just keep my diabetic kit out separately, just like my laptop. As I put it on the scanner belt with my other bins I tell the screener, "this is my diabetic kit". I have never had any problems.

Cheers,

Jeremy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts