The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I hope you don't mind me crashing your boards - I actually have Multiple Sclerosis, not Diabetes. But, I am having a VERY hard time figuring out how to get my injectable meds while on the road and I thought perhaps someone here would have an answer, since my MS forums and every other avenue I've pursued has not provided a solution.

Has anyone out there traveled abroad (I'm going to Europe and Morocco, specifically) for an extended period of time and had to get a prescription filled in another country? If so, how did you go about doing this? Or, have you ever successfully had medication shipped to you from the US?

I've already reached out to my insurance company, pharmacy, MS organizations in the US and abroad, Bayer (makers of my meds), US Embassies in the countries I'll be staying, and MS forums online...no real satisfactory answers yet. Any info you can provide would be helpful. Thanks in advance, and my apologies for intruding if anyone is bothered by my post.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
How long are you going to be out of the country? I guess it is not possible to bring enough drugs with you to cover your stay. The only other thing I can think of is to see if your insurance provider can ship them to your hotel. I think the other solution would be to see a doctor in those countries and get an RX. I don't think Rx's from one country work in another country. Maybe your doctor here can do a little leg work and get a referral to you in those countries.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run into this when I travel too.. how to go about it really depends on how long you are going to be gone.. when I get notified that Im going on ship, I contact my insurance company to get whats called a vacation waiver..its basically an exception to get more of a medication to carry you through a vacation.

The only other option I can think of would be to have some you trust fill the prescription for you and send it to you.. giving the fact that would almost certainly have to be an expedited shipping situation that could end up being expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies! I'm not sure at this point exactly how long I'm going to be gone for, but it'll be at least 4 months...possibly 6. I did a bunch of research and I'm just going to take a 6 month supply with me - insurance company approved yesterday.

Shipping was going to be the next option, but it is illegal to ship prescription meds internationally. I guess it's against the FDA regulations as well as customs regulations in the countries I'm going to.

Thanks again and best wishes :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts