The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frederick Banting was one of the two individuals given credit for discovering insulin in 1921. His home is in Alliston, Ontario, Canada. The pictures below show the Banting Memorial. The lady holding her pump in front of the memorial is a friend and fellow medalist. She visited the memorial and sent me these pictures in an email. You can click on the second one and read the words on the plaque. It gave me chills when I read it. We diabetics using insulin owe him so much!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Frederick Banting was one of the two individuals given credit for discovering insulin in 1921. His home is in Alliston, Ontario, Canada. The pictures below show the Banting Memorial. The lady holding her pump in front of the memorial is a friend and fellow medalist. She visited the memorial and sent me these pictures in an email. You can click on the second one and read the words on the plaque. It gave me chills when I read it. We diabetics using insulin owe him so much!!!

I was reading about diabetes today at work from some old books; it was very interesting to see how diabetes was connected with urology instead of metabolism around the turn of the 20th century. I guess back then they assumed diabetes was related to urology because the methods of testing came from looking at the sugars(?) in the urine.

One book said that there 'may be a causal relationship between the pancreas and diabetes mellitus.' Another book said that diabetes did not start before age five, and that alomost all people who had it were diagnosed by their 30's. It was very interesting, sort of sad, and amazing to see how doctors didn't know how to treat diabetes, and when they tried various treatments that we consider the norm today, they were cautiously optimistic.

I work in a library where there are very old medical books, 17th or 16th century to the present. The books I read were written in ~1880-1930.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts