The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed T2 in December. I have been going through menopause... getting really erratic periods and months between them. My numbers have been lowered the last several months with LCHF and regular exercise - they've been between 93 and 110 fasting most days.

The last couple days my #s have been up around 120, which is not terrible but bothers me. Then, to my surprise, I got my period yesterday.

Is there anyone like me on the edge of menopause who has dealt with new diagnosis at this time of life, and the weird fluctuations it can cause? Would love to hear from others.

Mary

Reactions: Judy-in-France

·
Registered
800 Posts
I find that I get a small spike in fasting BG the day that I come on.
I also found that my carb tolerance in general went down by 10g a day.

Sorry to say that this is something that you'll have to experiment with, so back to eating to the meter.

I personally use agnus castus tincture to help the hormone balance.

Reactions: gotsomeold

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank heaven I wasn't diabetic during my peri-menopause years, because it drove me nuts as it was, and if I'd been diabetic back then, I think it would've driven me stark raving mad. At least twice I went a full 11 months with no menses, only to have to start all over again at square one, and that doesn't even count the times I went six or eight months only to have to start over. :mad:

·
Banned
563 Posts
Thank heaven I wasn't diabetic during my peri-menopause years, because it drove me nuts as it was, and if I'd been diabetic back then, I think it would've driven me stark raving mad. At least twice I went a full 11 months with no menses, only to have to start all over again at square one, and that doesn't even count the times I went six or eight months only to have to start over. :mad:
With PCOS, this is what it was like for my entire life from the age of 13 except when I was LCHF and on Metformin. Often long intervals like that but feeling rotten because of the hormone imbalances. With terrible and constant pms, too.

I have had the easiest menopause of anyone I've ever heard of thanks to LCHF and Metformin. When the hot flashes bothered me, I'd up the fat in my diet and poof, the hot flashes calmed down. The erratic cycles were much less uncomfortable than they had been during the rest of my life.

It's been two years since my last menses and I LOVE it. I realized one day that the pms symptoms which were constant (worse when I was nearing a period but ALWAYS present) were GONE. Good riddance! No more surprise bleeding, cramps, backaches, headaches, moody blues.

I think Metformin and LCHF made all the difference. It would not have been pleasant back on the SAD lifestyle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm at that stage now, and I can say that until I got my birth control adjusted, my numbers were super high during PMS week. Not sure if you are on birth control, but when I spoke to my ob/gyn, he suggested taking a different (and mad expensive) brand of BC that shortens my period days (4 rather than 7.) And after a few months, it worked. It can still get a little bit more elevated, but I'm not longer getting number in the 140-160s (when my normal then was 100-120s.) Are you on any drugs? I'd suggest insulin honestly.. since I am able to adjust my dosage depending on time of month.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input! Good to hear someone at the same stage. I'm not on any meds right now. They're going to evaluate after a 3-month follow-up. My FBGs were betwen 95 and 110 for quite a few weeks in a row as I went nearly 4 months without a period. But then (surprise!) I got my period again, and my FBGs have been between 105 and today's high of 127, though the period is over. Very discouraging, given that I haven't been eating any carbs!

(I'm worried also that I might have a tooth infection at a failed root canal, and will get that checked out next week.)

It's really hard to evaluate hormonal effects on the whole thing when the cycle is so unpredictable and random now. It's entirely possible that the process is exaggerated and multiplied over time, as it stretches over months now rather than days. Just when I think I'm all done... presto! Aiiee!

Reactions: gotsomeold

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Speaking from experience, an infected/abscessed tooth can play havoc with BGs.

And, I am almost 30 years past a hysterectomy (kept the ovaries) and 10 years past menopause, and my BG trend still glides up around that time of the month.

Reactions: Strawberry

·
Registered
801 Posts
Blame it on the moon. I see the same trend of highs, I'm not on any hormonal control, and since getting my BG under control, having much more normal cycles.

I just try not to let it make me crankier....

And judging from the females of my line, I'm stuck with this for at least another 10 years....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Speaking from experience, an infected/abscessed tooth can play havoc with BGs.

And, I am almost 30 years past a hysterectomy (kept the ovaries) and 10 years past menopause, and my BG trend still glides up around that time of the month.
I am 15+ years past menopause and every now and again I get blindsided with one hot flash after another. Then about two weeks ago I got a brief period of post menopausal spotting. So, obviously made an appointment with the doctor for evaluation. Why can't Mother Nature just go away and stay gone ??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.