The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2008, upon the advice of a relative who's a nurse, I got checked for diabetes and my A1C was 6.1 or 6.3 (can't recall which). I freaked out. I cleaned up my act, started eating all the right foods and a few months later, went back, and had a 5.9 - yay!

Over the past 15 months or so, things have been very tough (yeah everyone says this) and I started with a little more carbs, then a little more, then a Reese's Peanut Butter cup phase, then started to back off. All this time I did not get my A1C checked b/c I do not want "diabetes" on my medical records, and at 5.9 I was ok. I will be needing to get insurance soon, and I don't want it showing this as a current pre-existing condition.

OK, lately my eyes have been blurry and really bugging me and I am peeing constantly. So today I did an over the counter (Bayer) home A1C test. UGH, the results: 7.1

My question is: if I really aggressively clean up my act again and tomorrow start eating properly (I have done better recently but cheat big time on splurges which I will stop) and start exercising, do those of you with experience think I can REVERSE IT TO UNDER 6.0 like I did 18 months ago? :pray: Or am I in danger and do I need to see a doc ASAP? I have a meter and will measure at every meal. I also just started seeing a counselor for weight management.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice. I am just beside myself that I let this happen.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello dit, and welcome to Diabetes Forum. I expect it's possible to get your Aic back under 6, but that doesn't mean you don't have diabetes. And I know all the hassle about trying to get insurance. I truly hope you haven't shot yourself in the foot here, but your future health & wellbeing depends on accepting that you ARE diabetic, and getting the best treatment you can in order to avoid some very serious complications in the future.

(and believe me, I can relate to that peanut butter cup phase! :()

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I truly hope you haven't shot yourself in the foot here
Hi Shanny, thanks for responding. I don't understand what you mean by that...explain pls? How might I have shot myself in the foot?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Over the past 15 months or so, things have been very tough (yeah everyone says this) and I started with a little more carbs, then a little more, then a Reese's Peanut Butter cup phase, then started to back off. All this time I did not get my A1C checked b/c I do not want "diabetes" on my medical records, and at 5.9 I was ok. I will be needing to get insurance soon, and I don't want it showing this as a current pre-existing condition.
Hi there. This stuff above is what she probably means. You went down to 5.9, and then started eating badly again, consciously denying a test because you didn't want the possible risks of the eating to visibly manifest on paper. But that didn't mean they weren't there.

Before your relative suggested you get tested, you were around 6.3. That was indication that high carb eating was unsafe, but you did it anyway. You went down to a safer level but that didn't mean freedom to pick up the bad habits again. Now, they may have caused a problem for you.

Your future and wellbeing also depend on your determination to stop bad habits, whether you turn out diabetic or not. But I'd strongly suggest getting tested now to confirm since you seem to be displaying typical symptoms. Excessive peeing is associated with both high blood sugar and healthy frequent water consumption, but blurry vision is high sugar only. Please get tested and see your physician. Once that's over, regardless if it's diabetes or not, work on kicking those bad habits and you'll live longer and happier. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I know what "shoot yourself in the foot" means. I just didn't connect what I said with how I "shot myself."

It's funny (not funny as in 'ha ha') how you can have such control and then "just one" slip, will snowball into the return of bad habits, e.g., carb addiction. I am truly shocked that my A1C is 7.1. I thought it might be ~6.3 or something, but never 7.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi dit! Welcome to the forum. I think that if you were able to get control once that you can do it again. Watch your carb intake and get back on track ASAP. If you start getting readings above 7.0, it might be time to see a doctor. I understand that you don't want diabetes on your medical record right now. Starting in 2014, health insurance companies will no longer be able to use pre-existing conditions as a way to not cover you.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi dit. You didn't mention whether you have a meter or not. Rather than the horrible surprise of a bad A1C, you can use regular finger stick tests to keep yourself on the straight and narrow. You'll see right away how the foods you eat are impacting your blood sugar if you test before you eat, then 2 hours after beginning a meal or snack.

I know you don't want to be branded as a diabetic for insurance purposes, but truly...if diet and exercise aren't enough, it's important to do what's necessary to treat your condition, including seeing a doctor and including meds in your regimen.

Jen

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have not given up my favorite foods. I wanted chocolate today so I chose not to have a 15 carb peach for breakfast today. I substituted two rows if chocolate from a Dove bar (7 carbs per row). Later today I might have a cup of hot chocolate (Swiss Miss sugar free, 10 carbs per serving). I can work small amounts of high carb food into a meal or snack and not increase my average daily carb count. Portion control is the key.

Have you folks seen this link before?

Idaho Plate Method - Home

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. Yes, I have a meter and have started checking. BTW, all I did last time was modify food and exercise. They had given me some medication (began with an A, can't recall the name), but I didn't want to take it and got myself back under 6.0. I hope I can do the same this time.

I am debating going to the dr, and will probably wait until Monday to decide. And I'm going to the farmer's market this afternoon to stock up on fresh veggies. At least I love veggies and this is the best time of year to get them. I know it gets easier once I "kick" the carbs but right now I'm definitely craving them. I'll get through this; that A1C reading got my attention big time.

G

·
LISTEN to these guys..!!

Hi dit.. and Welcome:

I'm going to give you the straight scoop.

LISTEN to these guys. (I'm using guys universally here.)

I'm a recent Type-2 myself. Because of their help and encouragement I went from over 300+ mg/dl (A1c @ 10.6), to 134 mg/dl (A1c @ 6.0).. all within a 90 DAY period!

At the time of my 3rd. month tested out at 114 mg/dl. My current 30 day average is 115.. and my past week is 102!

I'm going to say it again..

"LISTEN to these guys!!"

Their experience, advice and knowledge far exceeds that of a lot of Dr's.. so LISTEN to them!

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you, Breeze 2 User! That's good to hear that we helped so much . . . we do the best we can and we care a lot! And you did the heavy lifting yourself!

Thank you sir.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts