·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Meter 1: Relion Micro
Meter 2: Relion Premier compact
Test solution: Arkray Assure Dose Control Solutions 500006

Every new box of test strips I open up, I like to run through my test solution. Saw something weird (meter #1). The 80 mg/dL was consistently comes out as 88 or 89. So I called ADW and asked them about it. They said the solution had been opened for too long. So I order another set. 88. Hmmmmmm.

I asked Arkray about it and they said "no longer supported" and very graciously sent me a free Relion Premier Compact (meter #2). Okay so testing that against my old and my new solution. Test 1: 118; test 2: 115. Huh??? IS sugar water not sugar water?

And ADW said the FDA allows the meters to be plus minus 15%; Arkray told me the FDA allows for plus minus 25%. AAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I WANT PLUS MINUS 1% !!!!!!

Oh and get this! Both meters measured the same blood droplet (from opposite ends so as not to mix reagent) at 91 and 92.

DOUBLE AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!

What in the world is going on and what actually is my freakin' blood sugar??????

Many thanks,
-T

p.s. looked at "Diagnostics Direct 7314 Contour Next Normal Control Solution, Level 2, 2.5 mL " ad their test solution is rated 95-120. Useless !!! see https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx3AQHAUSYIEROC/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

·
Administrator
2,263 Posts
This is a concern that comes up at times.

This variability should not keep you from using your meter as a guide to your blood glucose levels. Most people cannot feel a difference in BG levels that is much larger than the 15% difference that is allowed in meters for personal use.

I've concluded personally that measuring blood glucose is like measuring the temperature outside: there are many variables (few of which we can control) and we have to be at least a little comfortable accepting one figure as accurate and actionable in the presence of many variable local measurements.

The "official" temperature where I live is measured either at the airport 15 minutes from my home or at the National Weather Service office about 30 miles away. I have a thermometer outside one of my windows that rarely agrees with the temperature at either location. But unless an oncoming storm is making temperatures change rapidly, a quick mental average of the different readings gives me an accurate-enough number to grab a jacket or open or close the windows before I go out.

In the absence of other symptoms of hypo- or hyperglycemia, I'll take the reading I get from my meter as "close enough" and proceed on that basis. I know I'm more permissive than some but I see diabetics manage well on BG levels that vary far more than 15% that I make myself okay with the numbers my meter displays. As much as I'd love to get one real number out of my meter at any given time, that's not the current state of the technology. I make myself be okay with that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking to find out if my test solution is accurate or not or if it is my meters that are off.

Must the test solution tied to the meter or can any test solution be used?

Basically, if I could do a calibration test to see what my meters say against an accurate standard.

This is extremely important to me at the present time as my eye doctor (a T1 diabetic) found evidence of minor bleeding on the back of one of my eyes and he thinks it is being caused by excess blood sugar. I am currently under treatment for this problem and I need to know EXACTLY what my blood sugar is, not a guess.

By the way, congratulations on your A1c. Don't get too happy though, A1c is plus minus 50% and a really, really sloppy test. So sloppy that I do not do this test. If ever needed again, I will do the fructosamine test, which is a lot more accurate. In the mean time, I test my blood sugar every morning.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
One of the best explanations I read on how to use the testing solution was given by one of our members a couple years ago.
Most (on diabetes website forums), I've found, find the solution useless, so you won't get much of a response. Myself, I find it very useful as it's the only media you can use to test your meter and strips that has a consistency to it.

Meters are rarely "off". Never had one that actually was. So that part of the equation doesn't concern me. The only other variables are test strips, temperature, human error and blood homogeneity.

Test strip control solution usually comes in 3 ranges. I use the middle range because...well...that's usually where my values lie.

For instance: My current test strip container reads; #2 103-139mg/dL. That means than when this test strip batch was tested...the #2 range was 121mg/dL. 121mg/dL minus 15% equals 102.85mg/dL. 121mg/dL plus 15% equals 139.15mg/dL There's your error range!

So...I put a drop of control solution on a mirror, use a test strip...I get 120mg/dL. I do that again...I get 119mg/dL. Close enough.

Now...if I got 126mg/dL a couple times then what I would do is subtract 5mg/dL from any blood test because that's what those strips are off by...for that test strip container.

Trust me...if the "control solution" was useless - they wouldn't spend an extra penny on manufacturing it.

And, yes, the control solution is brand specific.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
I'm a T2 diet controlled. With LCHF way of eating, my BG ranges well below any level that would be dangerous, and never goes too low, either. As long as my meter and strips seem to be testing consistently, I'm happy.

Now, if I were taking insulin, that would make a whole lot of difference and accuracy would be much more important. If I were prone to hypos, doing what bounty describes would be prudent.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a T2 diet controlled. With LCHF way of eating, my BG ranges well below any level that would be dangerous, and never goes too low, either. As long as my meter and strips seem to be testing consistently, I'm happy.

Now, if I were taking insulin, that would make a whole lot of difference and accuracy would be much more important. If I were prone to hypos, doing what bounty describes would be prudent.
In technical writing, always spell out what you are about to abbreviate. Example: low-carb, high-fat diet (LCHF). I had to look up what you meant. I am drug free too now for over seven years. I am Primal, which is another form of your LCHF. I usually don't like to mention it on this forum as it causes fights with those that won't kick the carbohydrate additions.

Right now I need to know EXACTLY what my blood sugar is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And, yes, the control solution is brand specific.
Well that answers that question. I will see it Arkray has a solution for the premier.

Is there a way to "run a calibration" graph on my meter? If I had a base line, I could say what my test solutions actually were.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not here. Go right ahead and discuss your way of eating.
I haven't posed here in several months. Maybe the culture has changed.

Primal is both eating and lifestyle. I "try" to do the lifestyle, but have limiting factors in my life that keep me from a lot of it. If anyone is interested, here is the link:

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-primal-blueprint/

For food, I use the primal food pyramid:

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/introducing-the-new-primal-blueprint-food-pyramid/

My daily budgets are:

15 grams carbs per meal, no borrowing from other meals
60 grams carbs max per day
15 Max Glycemic Load per day.

It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that anyone trying to live drug free learn and live by Glycemic Load, not just carbs. If you exceed your load, even if within your carb budget, your blood sugar will be high and take a long time to dribble down, whilst etching your nerves and circulator system. You can get both carbs and Load over at:

https://nutritiondata.self.com/

You just add your load numbers up for the day.

There are supplements and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) that helps too. I will leave that alone unless someone asks.

Also, keep in mind if you are doing the drugs and carbs thing, that by definition Allopathic Drugs (Allopaths are what we call Doctors in the west) are controlled dosages of poisons meant to cause a beneficial effect. But they are sill poisons and your body knows it, which is why you have side effects and rebound effects. Drugs are not medicine. They should only be used as an intervention, but not long term. (They have saved my life three times that I can count, so they have their place.)

Medicine has side benefits. For medicine, you have to find a full Oriental Doctor of Medicine (OMD) (8 year allopathic degree and seven years of herbal pharmacology, not an acupuncturist with a master degree in the Healing Arts) or a Naturopath.

If you doing drugs and carbs, it will catch up to you. You are being poisoned. So, make sure you get a good lawyer and get your will and trusts in order.

Now if I can only figure out what my stinking blood sugar actually is!!

-T

Oh, just got the word that the Arkray test solution is 83-103mg/dL. WORTHLESS !!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
One problem with knowing what your blood sugar actually is, aside from the variance that is in the meters and strips, is that your blood is not the same all over. It is not a homogenous mixture flowing thru your body. It is higher in glucose, lipids, insulin, oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc., downstream of points where these things enter the blood stream and lower downstream of the points where they exit. A 99% accurate measurement (100% too) only tells you what your BG is in that sample, at that point in time.

Whatever works to keep BG below damaging levels is what we ought to eat. As far as diets, from vegan to carnivore, I don't care what it is, I am going to eat what my meter tells me I can eat and keep my BG in the range I've set for me. I don't worry with glycemic numbers, just the resulting BG numbers.

Totally agree on most meds being controlled dosages of poison and that there are times they may be needed and beneficial.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Whatever works to keep BG below damaging levels is what we ought to eat. As far as diets, from vegan to carnivore, I don't care what it is, I am going to eat what my meter tells me I can eat and keep my BG in the range I've set for me. I don't worry with glycemic numbers, just the resulting BG numbers.
Excellent points mbuster. One of the traps that many people with diabetes occasionally get themselves in to is something I call "chasing your BG levels".

This is where the emphasis is placed not on the food you're eating but taking several shots to lower BG levels when they get high. As a result if you were to chart it - you would have an up and down line chart with next to no level lines - no BG stabilization.

It's my thought that BG stabilization is key to good health - and ones carb/calorie intake plays a very big part of that.

Unfortunately I occasionally end up "chasing my bg levels" when I screw up, fighting a cold or under an abnormal amount of stress. The trick is to try "chasing you BGs" less and impacting it through your eating habits but I've yet to meet anyone who can achieve this 100 percent of the time.

It's definitely a challenge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So, how is this way of eating working for you?

I'm wondering how often you are testing since what you've mentioned is only once in the morning.
There is no mystery as to what causes T2 Diabetes. It is the prolonged exposure to high glycemic carbohydrates not found in nature. And it is is coincident to the USDA's up for sale to the highest bidder that put grains at the bottom of their food pyramid. That is why something that was very unusual now strikes one out of eleven of us.

T2 is an injury caused from being poisoned by our diet. I hardy ate any sugar to speak off, but I did eat "Healthy Carbs". I though I was doing the right thing and did not realize until it was too late than this was fraud and that there is no such thing as Healthy Carbs and that grains, whole or otherwise, are worse than eating a bowl of straight table sugar.

I typically only test once in the morning. Yesterday was 113 and 112 mg/dL on the two meters (I ate too much before going to bed and did no upper body exercises). Today was 88 and 87 (I gardened and ate on time). I will test during the day if I am curious or if I am fasting for some reason.

I have the "dawn effect", so my blood sugar tends to be higher in the morning. I have also noticed that if I take my blood sugar right before bed, that I get the exact same reading when I wake. Two hours after breakfast, the blood sugar is typically lower than when I wake.

Oh on the Primal lifestyle, don't do the "Occasionally run real fast", your liver will kick in glycogen and your blood glucose will be worst than a carb loaded meal. Yikes. I found that out the hard way. Don't do any exercise that makes your body think it is running for your life.

And right now, although this is not something you asked, you only asked about eating, my blood glucose now has a lot more to do with what is going on in my life. I NEVER cheat on my diet. So, viruses (colds, flue, etc.) and excessive stress will pop me up 20 to 30 points.

And, and keep in mind that I have been diagnosed with slight bleeding behind one of my eyes, which the eye doctor thinks is caused by the T2. I am not so sure personally. I think it may have to do with either stress or nutrition or both. I am under treatment for it with TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) and will be going back for a rechecked in about two months. So ... (After the eye treatment, I will be on TCM for T2 probably for the rest of my life. This is okay, as the side benefits are wonderful. It is actual medicine. And it is cheap.)

My major problem with the diet is that since I have taught myself to cook and have kicked the carbohydrate addition (took about three weeks) and my sense of taste has returned, I love the food so much that I EAT TOO MUCH. Primal food is SO GOOD!!! Meat and plants! I should only eat around 2400 Kcal a day, but until I developed the self discipline to stop eating, I was up around 4000 Kcal. Oops! That is another story.

Range free, grass fed beef, if you can find a decent butcher that knows how to handle it and I have, is so strinkin' yummy ... By the way, it is so nutritionally dense that you only eat about 2/3 as much as stock yard beef, so it actually cost about the same in the end. Speaking with other Primals, they have all noticed the same. A bad butcher and it is like eat a car tire.

I am eating a grass fed beef patty and an organic avocado as I write this. YUM. I will finish with organic tea with some lime juice and stevia. This is a trick I use too keep me from wanting to eat the refrigerator. Not that I am still hungry, I am usually full, but because the food tastes SO GOOD, especially when I throw in some fresh garden vegi's. I have to stop writing you now or the tea won't even work and the refrigerator is in mortal jeopardy!

Oh before I climb off my soap box, you need to supplement with vitamin C. And Ascorbic acid IS NOT vitamin C. It is a piece of vitamin C called a vitamir. The human body can not synthesize vitamin c, so ascorbic goes right through you. (Yup, it is fraud.) So real vitamin C, look up acerola cherry powder. It will help with your skin and lots of other things. Plus, if you mix it in with some stevia and some sparkling water (Trader Joe's has a cheap one), it makes a nice soda alternative.

Better tasting but lower vitamin C:
https://www.znaturalfoods.com/acerola-cherry-powder-organic-freeze-dried

Higher vitamin C:
https://www.znaturalfoods.com/acerola-cherry-unripe-powder-organic-freeze-dried

And also keep the "Keto Flu" away with extra salt. Ketones use more sodium than do carbs to process. Your kidneys regulate the "ratio" of sodium to potassium, so if you sodium goes low, so will your potassium. Your will notice that you are tired (Keto Flu) and get a lot of leg cramps. Now "Sea Salt" from the grocery store has all the trace minerals removed (sold to supplement companies) and it typically almost straight sodium. You should look for a full spectrum salt such as Redmond's. Here is their assay:

http://realsalt.redmond.life/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/05/Real-Salt-Analysis.pdf

Lots of trace mineral!

Arkray is very graciously send me out a free test solution from my new free meter they also sent me. Nice folks!

Have you discovered cabbage wraps yet?

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Whew! I guess the above says that this way of eating is working for you. That's great.

I'm the opposite - I rarely test in the morning anymore. I prefer to test before eating and 1hr after. That way I learn what specific foods, or a particular carb load, does to my BG. Since I've been eating LCHF my fasting BG is fairly predictable.

BTW - am I responding to Todd or Margo?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whew! I guess the above says that this way of eating is working for you. That's great.

I'm the opposite - I rarely test in the morning anymore. I prefer to test before eating and 1hr after. That way I learn what specific foods, or a particular carb load, does to my BG. Since I've been eating LCHF my fasting BG is fairly predictable.

BTW - am I responding to Todd or Margo?
Todd. Margo is the love of my life for the past 44 years. She only eats what I eat so I will never be tempted to fall off the wagon. I know of a lot of other T2's whose spouses do not. A few that are vegetarians too and that is a recipe for disaster for a T2. Get another spouse that actually takes their wedding vows seriously!

Instead of testing before and after, learn the Glycemic Load of what you are eating. Just add them up for the day. Keep it under 15. I will save you from being a premier member of the Pin Cushion Club! You can look them up over at:

https://nutritiondata.self.com/

Some examples:

Nuts, macadamia nuts, dry roasted, with salt added
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3175/2

1 cup
Glycemic Load: 0 Yippee!
Carbs 17.4g
Fiber 10.6g (do not fiber subtract with carbs)

And here is one to stay the hell away from !!!!

Cereals, oats, regular and quick and instant, unenriched, cooked with water (includes boiling and microwaving), without salt [oatmeal, cooked]
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1598/2

1 cup
Glycemic Load: 14 (Deadly to a T2)
Carbs 31.8g (15 max per meal for a T2)
Fiber 4g (do not fiber subtract with carbs)

Who eats one cup of oatmeal too! I use to eat two at least! No wonder I got T2!, but they were Healthy Carbs!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Follow up:

Spent some time speaking with Arkray tech support. They sent me a test vile of Level 1 test solution for my Relion Premier Compact.

Here is what you do. On the side of the test strip bottle (NOT the test solution), you will find level numbers. Mine was:

Level 1: 113 - 153 mg/dL.

So you test a strip with a level 1 solution. If it falls in the above range, the it tells you that the meter is working. NOT THAT IT IS ACCURATE! That is a YUGE misunderstanding as to what the test solution is suppose to tell you.

Now for accuracy, you have to look at the manual for the meter (well, Arkray/Relion meters at least). At the bottom of my manual it states:

• Accuracy results for glucose concentration ≥ 75 mg/dL
Within ± 5 % 54/93 (58%)
Within ± 10 % 82/93 (88%)
Within ± 15% 93/93 (100%)
Within ± 20 % 93/93 (100%)

That means that 58% of the time, the meter will read with ± 5 %.

It also means the accuracy really stinks.

I will look for a better meter.

Thank you all for the tips on this posting.

T2 and Drug Free and Thriving, Not Just Surviving
-T

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
That 100%, is a little misleading, it's not 100% accuracy? Looking at the first link posted in the article (dated 2017), referencing the Blood Glucose Monitor System Surveillance Program it seems that the meter is overall one of the best meters. About halfway down the page I linked, it is the most accurate within +/-5%, +/-10%, and +/-15% ranges. There are 3 meters showing 100% within +/-20%, 3 meters at 99% and 4 meters at 98%.

I had this meter for a little while in 2018, until I was told it was no longer covered by my company I work for's new prescription service. I was happy with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That 100%, is a little misleading
Oh Ya. Misleading is the word. Since the same test parameters were placed on all the meters in the tst, then this is really a "figure of merit".

Thank you for the feedback on the meter! I see it sells for about 6 U$D on Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Here is another study that includes that meter and others (also circa 2017). Not sure if these studies are the Next One and not just the Next, which by the way, are not one and the same meters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts