The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Today I went to pick up some strips for my Accu-check Aviva as I was going out of the city for sometime and I was almost out on the test stips.

Pharmacist didn't have the Accucheck refills so he asked me to take this new meter and strips for that...I didnt want bit I had no choice but to take it

Now I came back home and checked the sugar level using the bayer meter and it said 4.1. I found that to be weird so I checked it in Aviva and it showed blood sugar to be 5.9. I am really confused, though I trust Aviva more as I have had it since first day and many times got the blood test done at the doctos and the results matched with the Aviva.

Can someone suggest who should I complain about this. I also have a picture showing the results of the two meters with a time difference of 2 mins.
Thanks,I
Esh

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, esh.

Can someone suggest who should I complain about this.
You can complain to us.

Meters are more or less 20% accurate, the manufacturers already know it, so it does no good to tell them. You can test the same drop of blood with 5 meters and get 5 different readings, you can test different fingers with the same meter and get different readings, you can even test the same finger with the same meter a few seconds apart and get different readings. The meters are only intended to be used as a tool to help us know approximately what our bg is.

Most of us find a meter we like and stick with it, and pretend it is accurate.

We would like you to go to the introductions section of the forum and introduce yourself so we can get to know you better.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Hi Esh.

The pharmacist asked you to take a new meter and strips. Can we assume that the meter was in the package and not one he/she handed you that had been sitting on a shelf, even though it was "new?" If the new meter was not in the box, it may be a control test issue. If the new meter was in the box, then I'd still probably run a control test just to make sure it's reading in the correct range. Did the pharmacist give you a bottle of control solution for the meter, or was there one in the box?

The difference that you have noticed is quite a sizable difference as far as BG readings go. I would run a control test and then determine the next steps to take. Sometimes there are faulty meters - it just happens. I once received a Freestyle Lite meter for free, and no matter what time of the day or night I checked my blood sugar, or no matter what I had eaten, the thing read 85 every time. Never moved off that number. I thought someone was playing a practical joke on me. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts