The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted question about my readings several months ago in this forum and it was recommended I get a meter.

I recently bought a Onetouch Ultramini Blood Glucose Meter.
This morning I did 2 fasting morning glucose readings and they were both 98 to make sure I got consistent results. Last night I had medium size pizza. My 2 hour reading after eating the pizza was 128. I also had alot of diet coke and no salt roasted shelled peanuts about an hour before my 128 reading.

Please advise if these Onetouch Ultramini readings indicate I am on borderline and what numbers I should be shooting for.

I am 48 years old and 5'9, 150 lbs and excercise alot including bicycle cardio and playing soccer.

My Doctor visit readings with blood drawn in arm was at 95 and the A1C1 was at 5.9 in April. My previous A1C1 was 5.8 and blood draw was at 85 in December.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I posted question about my readings several months ago in this forum and it was recommended I get a meter.

I recently bought a Onetouch Ultramini Blood Glucose Meter.
This morning I did 2 fasting morning glucose readings and they were both 98 to make sure I got consistent results. Last night I had medium size pizza. My 2 hour reading after eating the pizza was 128. I also had alot of diet coke and no salt roasted shelled peanuts about an hour before my 128 reading.

Please advise if these Onetouch Ultramini readings indicate I am on borderline and what numbers I should be shooting for.

I am 48 years old and 5'9, 150 lbs and excercise alot including bicycle cardio and playing soccer.

My Doctor visit readings with blood drawn in arm was at 95 and the A1C1 was at 5.9 in April. My previous A1C1 was 5.8 and blood draw was at 85 in December.
It's my understanding that you HbA1c is just slightly above the upper limit of normal. Your two hour post prandial reading is also a little about the figure of 120 which I've seen as a recommended target for two hours - but your figure isn't a two hour figure - peanuts are loaded with carbohydrate! Try again but don't have the peanuts.

Anyway although one isolated reading doesn't say it all, it's worth looking at the whole picture before jumping to conclusions.

Your height and weight look reasonable but, for instance, the figures are almost exactly the same as mine now (but I've lost 30 lbs since my diagnosis last August), and I'm still (and always will be) a diabetic.

I also suspect that your doctor would not yet consider you diabetic.

I do think you might be well advised to review the level of carbohydrate in your diet and continue to monitor your blood glucose (but without getting into a panic over it).

A very useful site you might want to browse is Blood Sugar 101 where the author Jenny Ruhl discusses the issue of pre-diabetes quite sensibly.

Good luck - please keep talking to us - but not as a full blown member. Having diabetes is a pain in the ...... (select area of anatomy of choice:))

John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
An HbA1c of 5.9 is an average bg reading of 123, which is probably on the high end of normal. Some doctors may consider you pre diabetic, some may not. The normal range tends to be 4.0-mid 5's. If I were you I would start watching some of the carbs I eat like pizza, cereal, bread and flour products. I am a full blown diabetic and try to keep my 2 hour numbers below 120 to prevent complications from diabetes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts