The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of meter does everyone use? Is one better than the others? I use relion walmart brand. Cause its cheap. How do you know if they are accurate???

·
Registered
51 Posts
What kind of meter does everyone use? Is one better than the others? I use relion walmart brand. Cause its cheap. How do you know if they are accurate???
Lee I went out yesterday and bought the same one from Walmart. I like it because it's easy to use and inexpensive. I am sure there are lots more people on here that have some great opinions. I also bought a journal to write down every day what I eat and my numbers so I can see what spikes me. Then when I go to my Physician he can look at my Journal.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
That's good to keep a journal of what you eat and what it does to you. Sure makes menu planning easy as you go along.

I, too, use Relion meter and strips and find it's about as good as any other I've tried and sure is cheaper. Since I have no formal diagnosis, I have to buy my own strips.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Then when I go to my Physician he can look at my Journal.

lol my doc make's me bring in my meter. then they download the testing's.Guess they trust me to write the # lol

I do still write it down becuz medicare requires it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Count me as a ReliOn user too . . . my DOC actually suggested it! (remember this is the Ozarks, folks - ;)) He's known our financial straits for a long time, so when the D diagnosis came along, he directed me to Walmart & explained about the strips. I've had two of these since the beginning & have tested against lab results several times, where they came within just a few points of matching.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use the USB Bayer Contour because I got several free last year. I buy the strips on Amazon . I think all meters are pretty much the same. None are 100% accurate. Most have a 10-20% margin of error rate.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I use the FreeStyle meter, and the strips are covered by insurance. I am allowed 10 strips per day, but I test about 15 times per day. When my FreeStyle supply is gone, I still have a month before the next shipment. I use my Relion for the remaining month. Both meters agree very closely.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Of course I went to Walmart and bought the wrong kind of strips :frusty:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
When I had the Dexcom CGM last year I did not as many finger sticks. Then Medicare would not cover a CGM. I do average 15 tests per day. By testing that often I can see lows and highs developing, and I correct them before they get so bad. That gives me more stable control, and keeps me off the roller coaster.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have a FreeStyle Lite indoors. I love that because its easy to see the readings (poor eyesight).
In my jacket I have a OneTouch. It is really small and is easy to have in the pocket. MY BG drops like a rock when I do something physical, so I have to check when I`m on a wlk with our dogs.
I read my sugar between 10 and 15 times each day. My BG raise and drops very quickly, so I`ve learned to read and stop it before it is really low or really high.
The test-strips are free, since I have a freecard rest of the year(in Norway you get this when you have spent 300 dollars on doctors and medicine). I just tell my doctor when I need new one.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I've decided to move to Accu chek from yesterday. Was earlier using Onetouch ultra. The Accu chek strips cost half as much

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was using the One touch Ultra Mini and have recently switched to the Onetouch Ultra2. Unfortuantely, I dont have a choice... its the onlhy one my insurance will cover.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I was using the One touch Ultra Mini and have recently switched to the Onetouch Ultra2. Unfortuantely, I dont have a choice... its the onlhy one my insurance will cover.

The one touch is good. I am happy with the device capability. Never got an error message. Just that the strips are expesive here ($.61 pet strip). The accu chek will cost me $.29 per strip. In india insurance does not cover strips

I have also just ordered (5 minutes back) another glucometer from ebay. Its from some small time taiwanese company. Under an offer i got the glucometer and 50 strips for $13 incl shipping. Doubt the quality but lets see how this one works.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Me too. wonder why? its not some cheap knockoff. its the only one I can have with my insurance too. 100 strips is $3.when I was using contor strips I had to pay $15, then it jumped to $30 for 400 strips. I end up paying $12. for the same amount. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
78 Posts
my primary meter is an AccuChek Aviva. Just recently bought a second back-up meter, a TrueTrack (manufacturered by Nipro, sold by Publix). There's reasonably good agreement between the two, although I've found there seems to be a little more variability in the TrueTrack strips than the AccuCheck strips. Could just be the batch I have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
one touch mini.i'm getting the contour usb as a backup.my grandpa has a one touch.and my friend has the true track

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have a few different meters (my Mom had a One-Touch so I just took it after she passed away because I can always use a backup. I took her remaining strips and lancelets as well). I have a One-Touch Ultra, a One-Touch mini that I carry in my purse, I also have a Bayer I think Contour that I received free with 50 strips. I have not continued with the Bayer however because I do not believe the test strips are covered by insurance and I'm not sure how much they cost on their own. I should research that. But, since I have three One-Touch meters, I can use the one type of strip on all three. Works out well. I typically use the mini at work and on the go, and the Ultra I use at home only. It is bigger and bulkier to carry with me, hence why I got the Mini. I purchased the mini on my own, but it was under $15.00 (I got it on sale). I really like the compact-ness of it and it does not take up too much room in my purse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts