The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a one touch meter at first,love it. at a class I filled out a form for Ccs supplies,they sent me a nova meter,I don't really like it,although the strips are cheaper. I know meters vary in reading but I just don't trust the nova one. I've used the testing fluid and they don't give you and one number match its like,between,123-145.
is anyone using the nova meter.
thanks,nancy

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've never heard of the Nova but I used One Touch for 3 1/2 years and got a lot of error messages with it. I switched to the Bayer Contour USB and I like it better and the strips are cheaper on Amazon. I don't think there is any one perfect meter, they all have issues. I like the ones who use smaller drops of blood.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I'm stuck with the Accu-Chek Performa - because that's what the French Health system supports and in fairness, I can't say I've found too many issues with it. Like you, I got it before I understood what it did and learned "on the job", so to speak.

In my view, the important thing about your meter is that you can trust it to deliver consistent results, so your Nova seems to fail that test and I would not be happy to stick with it.

Are you in the US? If you are, WalMart appear to be a reasonable source of relatively low cost - reliable - meters and might well be worth a look.

John

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Does result accrucy depend on meter OR strips ?? Is there different result range for different meter?
Don't know for sure but I would expect both elements have their issues. The build quality of the meter is the starting point - i.e. the quality of the electronics rather than the pretty case. The strips strike me as having at least two issues. Build quality and storage conditions.

The build quality of the meter and the strips, we can't control - all we can do is try to avoid the rubbish - easier said than done I suspect.

The test strips need to be kept sheltered from extremes of temperature - not too high and not frozen. So don't buy on-line in the depths of a harsh winter from someone in Alaska! :)

Now that's what I like - a nice straight answer:D:D:D

John

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I've used Abbott's Omega Optium, Bayer's Contour, Accu-Chek Compact & Active. I don't mind the errors, I'd like the meter to be consistent with the error. Out of the 4 above, my AccuChek Active is what works for me.

After reading the recent meter comparison report, I've ordered the Bionime Rightest 100. I'll let you know how good that is, in due course

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
se this is what im talking about, my reading this morning was 119 on the nova and 99 on a freestyle lite meter I had,the strips are fine. that's a big difference.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
se this is what im talking about, my reading this morning was 119 on the nova and 99 on a freestyle lite meter I had,the strips are fine. that's a big difference.
The problem with the strips is that whilst YOU may have stored them sensibly, what happened to them before you got them?

In any case, it comes back to deciding whether the number you get from the meter is consistent.

You got 119 on the nova on that test. If you had repeated it immediately, what would you have gotten from the nova? Another 119 or a wildly different number?

Same question on the other one. If you repeat the test - immediately with EXACTLY the same conditions (i.e. ideally the same finger) - another 99 or not?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Today, I did some testing.
I check my BG from both hand finger's blood at same time, same meter... Left hand finger gave result of 20 less than right hand finger.
I repeated this with-in 30 seconds and it was same result.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
john I've repeated with the nova a while back and the # was way off!!
I think I should go back to the one touch.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Today, I did some testing.
I check my BG from both hand finger's blood at same time, same meter... Left hand finger gave result of 20 less than right hand finger.
I repeated this with-in 30 seconds and it was same result.
So, if you stick to the same finger, you get the same result - as you should but you get a different result if you do another finger - but again, it's consistent.:eek:

Awkward and I don't have any idea as to why. I take it as read that both fingers were clean and free from contamination (including soap)?
I'm not a biochemist, so someone wiser than me will have to explain that one.:eek:

Sorry - you got me - sticking to the same finger every time is going to give you a very sore finger after a few weeks, so that doesn't work.

"Foxed in France!!"

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
john I've repeated with the nova a while back and the # was way off!!
I think I should go back to the one touch.
I agree - or perhaps replace the strips for the nova if you want to give it another go and can spare the cash. (I did have to do that once with the Accu-Chek - one box was all over the place - I'd bought it on E-Bay and its history was unknown.)

John

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
If any meter gives results of difference 15-16 in with-in 30 seconds on same finger. Is this expected? I am using One Touch ultra mini.
My understanding is that the two readings should be within about 5% of each other. If the result is wildly adrift of that figure, and it's a new meter, then you may want to consider taking it back to the supplier.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Meters can be a pain. After trying many I've settled on Accu Chek Active. But when doing comparative testing I definitely never use the same drop of blood and not even the same finger. Meters can still :confused:you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have used accu-chek meters for the past 20 years. I have primarily used Advantage, Active and Aviva meters. When my insurance stopped paying for strips I began using the Active. The strips were only about $.50/ea and I see no real fall off in accuracy. I am using an Aviva now that I like even better (insurance now pays for strips). Before A1c tests I got some software that allowed me to download readings to xl. When I couldn't get the interface to work they sent me the hardware I needed to interface it to my PC for free. It's a great company.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The basic fact is meters are off 10-20%. I don't really think any one is better than another. Some have special features or require less blood which is good. My CDE gave me a free meter from CCS. But when they called to sign me up for their delivery service they refused to sign me up. I have high deductible insurance and they refused to deal with it. So I buy my strips on Amazon for pretty cheap. Also whenever you repeat a test on another finger you will get a different number, it will drive you crazy. So only test once.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use the Accu Chek Compact, I like the fact that the strips are in a drum and you just replace the drum, the drum holds 17 strips, with the amount of strips I am going through lately I am glad I have the drums, I use the Accu Chek Aviva lancet system it also uses a drum so no touching of the Lancets, there are 6 in each drum

1 - 19 of 19 Posts