The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once saw a package insert that diabetics that use Metformin is more prone to heart attacks than diabetics that effectively controls their sugar levels with diet only. The keyword is effectively. Any comments on this?

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I once saw a package insert that diabetics that use Metformin is more prone to heart attacks than diabetics that effectively controls their sugar levels with diet only. The keyword is effectively. Any comments on this?

"A package insert" for what product?

·
Registered
90 Posts

It's a total load of Kaka - as my son would say. It turns out that Metformin may actually be the one diabetes supplement that actually helps to prevent heart attacks:

AMPK has also been shown to have a protective effect on the heart. This review describes how AMPK may protect the body during heart attacks.

AMP-Activated Protein Kinase Conducts the Ischemic Stress Response Orchestra 2008;117:832-840
doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.713115

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stopped using Metformin for 3 years after I read this in the package insert. However, I've used various brands of Metformin and saw this warning in one brand only. I've since switched over to a low carb diet and my blood sugar is reasonably under control with A1c 6.2 but I want to improve it. If Metformin doesn't increase the risk for heart attacks then I must seriously consider taking it again.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the warning was based on some old studies that have since been disproven. I take the maximum amount of metformin and so far no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts