The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been on metformin, besides the HORRIABLE gas, and diareha , which wasent too bad at first since I have always had a hard time going regular" , but now I have added lipitor,. and mind you just ONE pill !! and my arm and leg and knee pain is unbearable !!!! AND I am on pain meds, so I have NO idea how bad this is really hurting, I am not taking the lipitor again until I talk to my doctor. thier inlays ANOTHER problem !! MY doctor is 45 mins away from me, I only went back to her, because she IS through, and does alot of test . that I like. but when I ask or even tell her I HAVE to have my anxiety meds, she wont budge, and I am sorry I have a high tolerence through DNA, and my own life . I am not a drug addict, I know what I need them for, and only take them when NEEDED. but I cant drive 45 min to her office when I am in full blown panic attack mode !! So I have had to reschedule apts, but ALWAYS making a new one, and ALWAYS telling where my blood G levels are/ I am just starting to get better numbers, I started with 10 mil of levimer in am, and 5 mil of humalog after meals, I am now 3 weeks later, up to 30 mil if levimer in am, and 15 mil of humlog after meals . my last blood test was 191/ BETTER than I have seen in 2 years !! Normally it is 366,. or worse !! I AGAIN have a BV infection, that her nurse KINDLY explained that my dr would NOT call in the gel I NEED until I SEE her !!! Now also this dr ALWAYS does a breast exam, and I am SURE will want to do ANOTHER pap on me just to prove YES< I have a BV infection !!! and I also belive I have a kidney infection, my pee has alot of protein in it, and it smells and my back is killing me, *( kidney area) on both sides !!! I HAVE to find a NEW dr. this one cant even call in a cream !!!! she is making me suffer for NO reason !! She has treated me for this before KNOWS I get them every mth almost and wont wrote the gel , WTH !!! I AM VENTING < sorry I am very upset today, I feel like I am doing EVERYTHING to help myself get better, and I cant find a doctor to give a xxxx, Uknow ?? MY insurance wont pay for a nutrionist, I MAY be able to see a endo, I am calling about them tomorrow , But I am sure they will ONLY treat the diabetes, not ALL my other problems ...... I am going to start with the coconut oil in my coffee in the am, I am still not sure WHY yall use heavy cream ? But I use reg creamer, doesent seem to bother my BG . I also use a sugar free vanilla syrup that helps with sweetness, as I cant stand splenda, and artificial sugars... OK< gotta go .... WILL write more VERY SOON !!! gotta go eat dinner, and take humalog . and metformin ....

·
Registered
370 Posts
One of the potential side effects, common to statins is muscle weakness and ache and pains.. Pfizer advises that you get with your doctor post haste. She may need to switch you to something else. It can be a serious side effect.

Good Luck

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you , and yes, I take B12 everyday .. I also take a multi vit. and am starting fish oil and coconut oil in am . Thank you for replying I have had a VERY bad day : ( ~~~~~~~~~~ Sorry , I had to VENT.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was on a statin for over a year before I started to get the severe muscle and joint pain. I thought I had Fibromyalgia or Artritis. It then began affecting my memory and I felt like I was in a fog all day. I really felt like I was 90 years old and I had just turned 60. I went from exercising for 2+ hours a day to barely being able to walk to the mailbox. I did research myself and took me off the stain and within a few weeks most of the symptoms disappeared. It did take me a lot longer to rebuild my muscles and put the weight back on that the statin took off in wasted muscle tissue. I really wished doctors would take this side effect more seriously. I think of all the seniors on statins and how many have wasted muscles and memory problems and their doctors insist they take staing to protect their heart. After I went off of the Statin, my doctor suggested I take CoQ10 to rebuild Mitochondria inside my cells. I take 300 mg every night. I think it has really helped. I also take the B-12, Calcium with Vit D and a Multivitamin with antioxidants. When you have diabetes it is important to keep your immune system healthy.

·
Super Moderator
10,026 Posts
From what little I have read about it, it sounds like at least one of the big 3 (Crestor, Lipitor, Zocor) gives some people problems and the other(s) don't. Looked like a toss up which ones are problem and which ones not. I never took Crestor. Zocor made me ache pretty bad when I first started taking something for cholesterol and switched to Lipitor. No problems with it. Wasn't taking anything for BG then, but have been last couple of years. Am now getting some aches and pains but nothing like what Zocor did for me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The one I took was lovastatin, and I don't know which brand name that is. I wasn't so bedeviled with pain, but with weakness . . . it got so I couldn't lift my iron skillet with one hand, and that's a major deficit. I couldn't lift the dutch oven at ALL, but I don't use that one as much as the skillet. The skillet gets used for every meal, so I really need to be able to handle it. And since I quit the statin, I can again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, I have quit the lipitor. I am now in search of a decent dr. who can write me what I need, and understand all my aliments . It BOTES to have to see' 4 diff doctors.. LOL ~~~ But I WILL find one that is worthy , I will . I am determind!!!! : ) I am glad I am not alone, and thank you I AM doing low carb high fat. and I am doing the best I can . I wish I could get MORE list of diets or lifestyle foods, people eat everyday .. like weekly logs of foods, so I can pick threw which one I know I can eat , and make myself a meal plan. I dont mind eating teh same things most days . I just need to FIND foods I CAN eat ....

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The foods we're eating day in & day out, our "weekly logs", as it were, are listed in the "what's for breakfast/lunch/dinner" threads stickied at the top of the diabetes forum lounge, and would give some really good ideas. And if you have any questions, or want the recipes for things you find there, just ask us - somebody will know the answer.

What do you mean by weekly logs? Something like Atkins writes up for people to follow THEIR diet? Go with that then - Atkins is a perfectly healthy plan for persons with diabetes. But you can go a lot higher fat with our low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating than you will with Atkins.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you ! Thats what I am looking for , everyones meals, so I can pick and choose, what I like to eat .. : )

·
Registered
916 Posts
yes, I have quit the lipitor. I am now in search of a decent dr. who can write me what I need, and understand all my aliments . It BOTES to have to see' 4 diff doctors.. LOL ~~~ But I WILL find one that is worthy , I will . I am determind!!!! : ) I am glad I am not alone, and thank you I AM doing low carb high fat. and I am doing the best I can . I wish I could get MORE list of diets or lifestyle foods, people eat everyday .. like weekly logs of foods, so I can pick threw which one I know I can eat , and make myself a meal plan. I dont mind eating teh same things most days . I just need to FIND foods I CAN eat ....
Hi.
I am in Charleston & I go to MUSC.
There are plenty of clinics too. I used to go to Fetters clinic for low cost & free meds & supplies & free eye exam.
Good luck I hope you find someone .it took me 4 Drs to find the one I have now.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Remember when you make up these dishes for your own meal plan, you'll still need to test and test some more to find out if it works for you and keeps your 1-hour and 2-hour postprandials lower than 140 (7.7). What works for one of us doesn't always work for all of us. Keep a log of what you eat and when you eat it; keep a log of what your blood sugar readings were after eating it. After a few weeks you'll have custom built your personal food plan.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you I am looking into it ... akins diet .. would like to find it for free.... : )

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Starssunmoon...I can tell you that once you get your bg's under tight control, you will not have difficulty or problems with BV's (I am assuming you mean bladder/vaginal infections?) I suffered for over a year with systemic candida that was horrible. I went to the doctor every other day it seemed and no one could help me. I finally went to a somewhat holistic doc who put me on a 3-month course of Diflucan. That finally kicked the infection out of my system and I've had little trouble since. I have had a couple of instances where I felt it starting again, so I always keep a few diflucan on hand just in case. It was just horrible...constant itching, constant burning, constant fatigue, constant hot flashes...this went on for like 1-1/2 years. My marriage was suffering because I couldn't be intimate, my job was suffering because all I wanted to do was sleep. My energy level was nil. Thank God it was finally healed.
As far as why many here use heavy cream is because it contains high fat that is good for diabetics. Along with the coconut oil, it is wonderful. I use half and half myself, but I always keep some heavy cream in the frig for those times I want it just a bit more creamy. :)
Also, use coconut oil in place of butter on low carb breads (if you can handle them). Also, why are you taking your bolus after you eat? I usually bolus before eating, but I have wondered about taking after. I don't know if that would be more beneficial than the way I have been told. Do you check your bg before you eat a meal? I understand taking insulin for the carbs you ate for that meal, but what if your bg's were high to begin with before the meal? Is that taken into account? Curious.
Good luck and stick with everyone here. Very knowledgeable people and they will certainly help you along the way.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My doctor finally admitted that some get terrible side effects with statins. So he agreed I should never take another. He even said there was no use doing the lipid tests since they would never put me on a statin. He said the most imporant thing was exercise and keeping a normal weight. I have been at 118-122 now for over 2 years. He also said it was important to take CoQ10. I take 300 mg at night and have recovered most of my muscle strength. I still have an occasional twinge in my shoulder or leg but my muscles are so much stronger, now. I am also on metformin and I wonder if the combo of statin and metformin is what makes the muscles ache more and react to the statin. Most of my meals now are based on keeping my bgs close to 100. I basically eat meat, cheese, vegetables, almond butter, flaxseed and other seeds and nuts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the question WHY I take my fast acting AFTER I Eat . well I was never told to take it before, so I guess in my mind, it made since to me, to TEST, and if my sugar was high from my meal to then shoot in 15 to 20 of my humalog .. ?? IDK .. Just MY common sence And maybye I am doing it wrong, I am in the learning feild still as well : ) ~~ I QUIT the lipitor !! The muscle pain was Horriable !! I had also been put on celixa (SP) and I had to stop taking that because of a burning tounge ...weird I know ...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Not necessarily. It depends on what you eat and when you expect a peak ... and also, how much you eat. I often inject after, myself. Especially if I eat more than I intended, it saves me having to add a second shot. Think Like a Pancreas has suggestions like that in it.
Ahhhh, you've read Think Like A Pancreas? It's a good book; although it is geared in my opinion more toward a Type 1 since the author is Type 1, it still has helped me understand alot about my Type 2.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Ahhhh, you've read Think Like A Pancreas? It's a good book; although it is geared in my opinion more toward a Type 1 since the author is Type 1, it still has helped me understand alot about my Type 2.
There is now a second edition of TLAP out. The whole book has been completely revised and updated.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts