The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was diagnosed mid January with an a1c of 7.8. The doctor put me on 500 mg Metformin twice a day, and I first had some gastro upset, but now I'm horribly constipated and have started a glass of sunfiber a day.

Now, my appetite. Before the metformin, I could eat a horse, and then a pizza. I mean I had a HUGE appetite. Horrible.

After the DX, i went super low carb that I learned here, kind of a mish mash because I'm not the best cook and some of the recipes I tried were disasters.

I have an appointment coming up with the doctor, so I'll find out how much weight I've lost, but it has to be decent, because my underwear is baggy.

To be honest, I didn't have a big problem going no/low carb. Yes, I miss a big bowl of mashed potatoes, but it's just a flash once in a blue moon and then I move on. I have no craving for sweets at all.

My biggest problem has been finding things to eat that are either easy to cook or no cook, because for now, I just can't add the stress of cooking to the rest of it.

So I've been eating mostly turkey breast slices from the deli (or those Oscar Meyer healthy types) and deli chicken. Also a lot of cheese (gouda, colby, cheddar) because it's easy to eat. Some cottage cheese, although now I'm tired of it. I've had yogurt a couple of times, but it spiked my numbers a bit, so I have to experiment and try my own concoction.

Over the last week or two, however, my appetite has continued to go down, and now I'm to the point of nearly everything makes me feel almost nauseous.

I'm actually having to FORCE myself to eat. What I'm doing pretty okay with, and it's *something* plus coats my stomach:

- - a slug of half and half
- - pure almond butter

Oddly, I never liked peanut butter, but tried some almond butter, and can get a spoonful of that down and it's good energy, filling, and some nutrition.

Last night, I tried to eat some turkey pastrami and pepperoni (my favorite), and had to toss it. It was just too gross.

Oh, I also am into kosher dill pickles...big time. (No, not pregnant, I'm in my 50s)

I'm still eating a slice of cheese and some slices of turkey breast for lunch and getting it down.

The thing is, I LIKE having no appetite because it's helping me lose weight. So I don't want to give that up. But I'm worried about the nutrition factor, and geez, I don't want to starve myself.

Soup has always been my comfort food, so I'm going to make a pot of vegetable soup (chicken stock) and see how that goes.

I am a person who LOVES spicy food, hot, spicy, flavor, and now everything is just too spicy for me. A pickle is as spicy as I seem to go.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just a tad concerned. Is this just an extreme version of normal because of the Metformin?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, add to that avocado. I have never really been into them, but bought one, and one night, just couldn't eat anything for dinner. Then I remembered the avocado, so was able to eat half. It was so bland, but satisfying. I could get it down. I ate the other half the next day. So I plan on getting more avocados.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Constipation is a common problem with all of us that 'jumped' into the LCHF model. It is usually caused from dehydration. During the initial 6 months you loose a ton of water and have to increase your salt intake (electrolytes messed up may be part of the loss of appetite)! For me I lost 50lbs. in 6 months, as I recall I lost 20lbs in the first two weeks....of course I started at 320lbs. So keep those numbers in mind as a percent of total weight loss. For me that is around 14% in 6 months....which is amazing. Now my wife went on this with me, but did not stick to it as hard as I did, of course she is not diabetic. She also lost 14%, but she needed some weight loss, but not like me. so she looks and feel really great!

Drink more water! Eat lots of veggies! Eat Fresh salad with lettuce and or spinach...I go to the grocery store and use the salad bar to fill up a container of salad. I use my own Blue Cheese (you can find lots of blue cheese dressing that is very low carb at any store). I eat this for a few meals every week. This with water and extra salt does the trick for me. One other fix have a nice glass of red wine. Made from grapes and it too can help move things along.

Now my turn to ask questions: Have you read the website Blood Sugar 101 ???

Are you offsetting your low carb with added fat intake? If not, you are not doing LCHF...but just plain old low carb, which most of us agree is a losing diet...as the cravings will get you in time.....been their done that!

Are you testing your blood sugars regularly? Are you testing your blood sugar after eating certain foods to see if your body can handle the carbs....?

Give us more and we can probably give you some easy food ideas.....one of my snack time favorites is fried pork rinds with Salsa....that's a good salty, fat, no carb snack.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Constipation is a common problem with all of us that 'jumped' into the LCHF model. It is usually caused from dehydration. During the initial 6 months you loose a ton of water and have to increase your salt intake (electrolytes messed up may be part of the loss of appetite)! For me I lost 50lbs. in 6 months, as I recall I lost 20lbs in the first two weeks....of course I started at 320lbs. So keep those numbers in mind as a percent of total weight loss. For me that is around 14% in 6 months....which is amazing. Now my wife went on this with me, but did not stick to it as hard as I did, of course she is not diabetic. She also lost 14%, but she needed some weight loss, but not like me. so she looks and feel really great!

Drink more water! Eat lots of veggies! Eat Fresh salad with lettuce and or spinach...I go to the grocery store and use the salad bar to fill up a container of salad. I use my own Blue Cheese (you can find lots of blue cheese dressing that is very low carb at any store). I eat this for a few meals every week. This with water and extra salt does the trick for me. One other fix have a nice glass of red wine. Made from grapes and it too can help move things along.

Now my turn to ask questions: Have you read the website Blood Sugar 101 ???

Are you offsetting your low carb with added fat intake? If not, you are not doing LCHF...but just plain old low carb, which most of us agree is a losing diet...as the cravings will get you in time.....been their done that!

Are you testing your blood sugars regularly? Are you testing your blood sugar after eating certain foods to see if your body can handle the carbs....?

Give us more and we can probably give you some easy food ideas.....one of my snack time favorites is fried pork rinds with Salsa....that's a good salty, fat, no carb snack.
I'm trying to up the fat intake with the half and half and almond butter. I like butter and coconut oil, but not just a bite full. LOL. I don't know how to get coconut oil in me.

I think I definitely need more ways to eat fat. Vegs are not much of an option at this time, because they nauseate me. I did buy some Marie's Blue Cheese dressing, but haven't used it yet.

Just a lot of foods I used to like now make me sick. I hope I get over that, because they aren't unhealthy foods. (Like cauliflower....used to love it, now it's gross.)

I may try that bulletproof coffee and see how that goes, although I've never liked anything in my coffee or tea, so I don't know. Worth a try, though.

Yes, I am testing my BG like crazy. About 6-7 times a day. And I've got an Excel spreadsheet with notes of what I ate. LOL. (Contrary to what my dr said, which was only once, in the morning.) Since I'm not really eating carbs, other than what comes with a can of spinach or can of cooked carrots, the only big spikes I've had were from yogurt, plus 20% sugar that was snuck into a can of coconut water. (Gotta read those cans! That stuff is supposed to be 100 percent coc. water. Shame, Goya.)

My BG levels have gone down nicely, although I still have higher numbers in the am. I'd say the Metformin and eating plan are working!

I also studied that 101 website heavily when first diagnosed.

I think 1, I need to get more water. Thanks for pointing that out!!!! I don't know why I'm drinking less water, but I believe I am. And I used to be SO good with water.

And then more fat. Since avocados seem to be something I can handle right now, that's good fat.

Unfortunately, I have never liked pork rinds. I did give them a try in case my tastes had changed, but I really just don't like them. I think they'll be good for "breading" when I feel like trying some recipes down the road.

Any good ideas for getting more fat? Short of melting some butter and drinking it? LOL.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I'm trying to up the fat intake with the half and half and almond butter. I like butter and coconut oil, but not just a bite full. LOL. I don't know how to get coconut oil in me.

Jennifer, you show good spirit and actually are doing much that newbies usually miss....! So don't let your heart be troubled...you will work through this to a good place.....!

I think I definitely need more ways to eat fat. Vegs are not much of an option at this time, because they nauseate me. I did buy some Marie's Blue Cheese dressing, but haven't used it yet.

It sounds a bit like you are in a spiral...you cannot eat much because you are nauseated, you are nauseated because you are on diabetic drugs, and the empty stomach increases the negative impact your drugs are having on you. Maybe call you doctor and tell him you are going to get off of metformin for a week or so and eat low carb high fat (don't tell him high fat or he will freak)...."we break it to our doctors slowly after we have world class results, including our cholesterol...Then while you are off metformin, eat stuff you like, low carb of course...I like a big juicy Sonic Double Cheese Burger with all the fixing plus mustard, no catsup. I take it home, throw out the buns and use a fork and a knife...fast food junkie I am....but low carb too! Did you know that Kentucky Fried Chicken has Baked Chicken and really good green beans cooked with onions.....my point is you have to change your likes and dislikes because you cannot live on carbs, like we all did! Meat, Vegies, are our mainstay...in the long run you need to change some of your preferences....Later I will tell you about retrograded potato salad....

Just a lot of foods I used to like now make me sick. I hope I get over that, because they aren't unhealthy foods. (Like cauliflower....used to love it, now it's gross.)

I found early on that vinegar helped my with some foods, like cauliflower and sliced cucumbers, etc. Just soak them in some added extra salt and try it pickled flavor sometimes counter acts that nausea feeling.

I may try that bulletproof coffee and see how that goes, although I've never liked anything in my coffee or tea, so I don't know. Worth a try, though.

I have two big cups of coffee with a double dose of heavy whipping cream and some artificial sweetener, yum yum....before this I never drank coffee with cream. By the way Half and Half has more carbs than does Heavy Whipping Cream, and the hwc has more fat, you need fat, lots of fat! :devil:

Yes, I am testing my BG like crazy. About 6-7 times a day. And I've got an Excel spreadsheet with notes of what I ate. LOL. (Contrary to what my dr said, which was only once, in the morning.) Since I'm not really eating carbs, other than what comes with a can of spinach or can of cooked carrots, the only big spikes I've had were from yogurt, plus 20% sugar that was snuck into a can of coconut water. (Gotta read those cans! That stuff is supposed to be 100 percent coc. water. Shame, Goya.)

If you are really eating carbs that low, you may feel sick because you are to low....how low are you, what is your daily low averaging? All of us eat low carb, not no carbs! I targeted 100g a day or less when I started and slowed worked down to 50g per day. So part of what you are feeling may be low BS from not enough carbs or from yo-yoing up and down to much....:vs_no_no_no:

My BG levels have gone down nicely, although I still have higher numbers in the am. I'd say the Metformin and eating plan are working!

It is common to have high morning numbers because of the dreaded 'morning phenomenon' when you sleep at night your liver senses you are low in sugar. Being the nice liver it is, it always store a few carbs away, just in case....and WaaLAAA! You get sugar....!:surprise: a lot of information on that is on this website search for 'morning phenomenon'....it is hard to control....but possible to have some impact on it...

I also studied that 101 website heavily when first diagnosed.

I think 1, I need to get more water. Thanks for pointing that out!!!! I don't know why I'm drinking less water, but I believe I am. And I used to be SO good with water.

Water is good, lots of water is better and don't forget the added salt on food! If the electrolytes are not ok, the water won't stay with you...if you know what I mean...?:laugh2:

And then more fat. Since avocados seem to be something I can handle right now, that's good fat. Yes, but honestly all fats are good...do you eat bacon? How about eggs? Ham? Butter on eggs? Cheese has good fat, but can clog you up, if you eat lots of cheese, you need more water and Veggies.....

Unfortunately, I have never liked pork rinds. I did give them a try in case my tastes had changed, but I really just don't like them. I think they'll be good for "breading" when I feel like trying some recipes down the road.

Any good ideas for getting more fat? Short of melting some butter and drinking it? LOL.
You can add butter to most of what I said in these comments. But, Most of what I read indicates that many of the fat alternatives don't sound good to you because your are sick. That is why I suggest, call your doctor, tell him the problem and get off of metformin for a week or so. Get the sick cleared up, then dig in on some fat food! When you start again tell you Doctor to give you a prescription for the slower acting metformin. Many on here find it does not bother them as much. Sometimes one has to take a step back to move forward!

Stay in touch and good luck...you are on a good road, keep going...:vs_cool:

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm working on some of this too in order to at least approach LCHF in April or May. Try substituting some of your high salt deli meats with say a precooked rotisserie chicken. Maybe some sardines (in oil - low in sodium).

Since you don't cook, I don't really have any practical suggestions for adding fat to your diet. I saute chicken and fish in plenty of olive oil.

If you have an Amazon account, you can get these two books on fat bombs still for free. If you don't have a Kindle, just download the kindle app to your computer to read.

https://www.amazon.com/250-Ketogeni...UTF8&qid=1488942516&sr=8-2&keywords=fat+bombs

https://www.amazon.com/Ketogenic-Fat-Bomb-Recipes-Cookbook-ebook/dp/B01DTO5J8G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488942516&sr=8-3&keywords=fat+bombshttp://

Here's another:
https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/thankYouPage?_encoding=UTF8&a=A3GCLDGC0Z02WE&accessorCustomerId=A3AFT4IU8N4WQV&action=&addNarration=0&asin=B01LDZEWJA&audibleAsin=&audibleOurPrice=&badDebtOrders=&cor=US&displayedPrice=0.0&eoi=AHUUQ2A81CQQU&giftSentNow=&groupId=HH37SJB2BHBPY46&hasPromotion=false&homeMarketplaceId=ATVPDKIKX0DER&isEbookShared=1&isExtendedMarketplace=&isSeriesPurchase=0&noDevicePurchaseAllowed=&o=D01-7933894-1635463&offerListingID=ldm5Zt1RjyPOWATH%252F9Uv3uonjRg2P%252B7z%252BCAlBmZV4FWu0BBBV%252BnTEg2IAuRh9NW9reqXl4jZzq10AxRvvtaRc2RFZ2eSBiRFS%252BzmH5AdYlBr2siEeoZAMrj9OC8RuwNSvr3aEa%252FzRwCgAVPwdX%252FgKQlyGhJruUJd&orderConfirmationTime=&originSessionId=&paymentInstrumentType=&paymentPlanID=&pointsEarned=&ppAuthorizationRequired=&rateQuoteID=&redirectionBankName=&returnToPage=%2Fkindle-dbs%2FthankYouPage&selectedPriceName=&seriesFirstChildAsin=&subtype=STANDARD

Just be sure to check before clicking on it that the price is still free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts