The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The reason why they have you start it in the evening is because many people get slight nausea and it's not usually bothersome to them in the evening. Stepping up the dosage reduces the chance that you will have nausea.

Unfortunately, for some of us, even extended release causes problems over time. I was getting severe gut pain after 5 years of using it. Tried again a few months ago after a 6 month break and that ended yesterday. Gut pain and nausea are definitely not the same thing.
More Metformin ER REDUCES nausea?

I don't take any drugs that require food in the evening, I only take drugs before bed without food.
If I take Metformin ER at dinner then I have drugs 3 times a day.
I get mild intermittent gut pain .

·
Registered
799 Posts
More Metformin ER REDUCES nausea?

I don't take any drugs that require food in the evening, I only take drugs before bed without food.
If I take Metformin ER at dinner then I have drugs 3 times a day.
I get mild intermittent gut pain .
The average dosage of Metformin is 2000 mg per day. If you START at 2000 mg per day, you will have all kinds of intestinal disruption. If you go up 500 mg. per week, it is much less, and that is the typical schedule. Metformin is generally less troublesome for folks if they take it with a meal.

If your current arrangement works for you, stick with it. Unless there is a medication conflict, whatever schedule you can meet DAILY is the best one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The average dosage of Metformin is 2000 mg per day. If you START at 2000 mg per day, you will have all kinds of intestinal disruption. If you go up 500 mg. per week, it is much less, and that is the typical schedule. Metformin is generally less troublesome for folks if they take it with a meal.

If your current arrangement works for you, stick with it. Unless there is a medication conflict, whatever schedule you can meet DAILY is the best one.
I take 500mg of MetforminER per day.
I was on Januvia before which I think had less side effects (but has been linked to Pancreatic cancer) but the Metformin is better for the blood glucose.

·
Registered
799 Posts
That's unusual to stay at 500 mg a day, but given your A1C of 6.1% it certainly makes sense to stay at that. :) Sorry, missed that earlier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's unusual to stay at 500 mg a day, but given your A1C of 6.1% it certainly makes sense to stay at that. :) Sorry, missed that earlier.
I'm pretty happy with the treatment (not needing any drugs would be ideal).
I don't like that I have Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, and High Cholesterol.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts