The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,560 Posts
I do know they use metformin for PCOS patienets that are not yet diabetic. It would make sense that if you suffer from hyperinsulmenia that metformin would help you become more sensitive. I've been trying to get my husband to switch from Actos to Metformin. But he feels the Actos keeps his HbA1c's in the 5's so he doesn't want to switch. He sounds like your husband, he eats low carb because that is the way I cook but I am sure he binges when I am not around. He is still overweight (215-220) but since he exercises 6-7 days per week he is not obese. I think the metformin would help him and it is so much cheaper. I was always a carb addict before diabetes and although not really overweight I had that carb belly which should have been a sign to me to stop eating carbs.

I don't mean to hijack this thread and my apologies to the OP, however I've never heard the term "carb addict". It applies to me 100%, even after diagnosis. Jwags.....however did you break the habit? Although different than you because it seems as though I've been overweight my entire life, I'm definitely a carb addict. I would like to break this habit of mine. If moderators want to split this post to a separate post, it would be fine with me. I need help and I think this forum is the place to get it.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Strawberry, spealing as OP, this post IMHO is absolutely relevant to this thread!

I had a starch addiction, and toward the end I also craved sugar like mad!

I am not sure if it was the metformin, the low-carbing, or the sheer terror that decreased my, ummmm interest in carbs, or was it all 3?

Jeanne, what helped you?
I honestly don't know what has happened to me lately. This carb addiction is almost like being an alcoholic. I don't drink and never did...but...I've heard many people say that smoking and drinking are very difficult to quit.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Your last sentence might be the key to my particular problem at present. Obviously I haven't been eating lo-carb and as a result my blood sugar, while not terrible, is definitely NOT good! Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.