The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for about a year i have been taking 3 500mg.
A1c was 7.4 if it gets worse doc says i should take 3 750 pills (actually 1 and 1/2 500mg pills )

as this will start just before i leave for 6 months...
can i expect any negative effects?
we use the apo brand.
thanks
PS age 65, slim and type 2 of course!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The forum is well used, Anon, but some responses require a little more thought, and since there's no way to give you a definitive answer to your question, it becomes an issue of how to say that kindly.

Without knowing anything else about how you manage your diabetes, I can only say that I have tweaked my own metformin dosage up & down without incident. Whether or not an additional 750mg per day will impact negatively on your regimen, I have not the remotest idea. Since you'll be cutting pills in half, I suppose you have a little more control and could increase gradually rather than jumping right in to the highest level. But keep in mind that cutting pills in half is not recommended if you use the extended release version of metformin, because the coating needs to remain intact since that is what extends the release of the drug.

Welcome to Diabetes Forum.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Re:

For people who want to derive the many proven health benefits of metformin, it might be prudent to follow the dosage schedule used by Type II diabetics. The starting dose should be 500 mg of metformin twice a day. After one week, increase the dose of metformin to 1000 mg as the first dose of the day and 500 mg as the second dose. After another week, increase to 1000 mg of metformin two times a day.

·
Registered
204 Posts
for about a year i have been taking 3 500mg.
A1c was 7.4 if it gets worse doc says i should take 3 750 pills (actually 1 and 1/2 500mg pills )

as this will start just before i leave for 6 months...
can i expect any negative effects?
we use the apo brand.
thanks
PS age 65, slim and type 2 of course!
Hi anon125,

I wouldn't have thought that change would make very much difference to anything at all.

Personally, I'm moving in the other direction - metformin down from 2000mg to 1000mg and hoping to get off the medication altogether very soon.

I'm maintining an HbA1C of 5% by cutting back on the starchy carbohydrate that I eat - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pizza etc. I've found that doing that lowers blood glucose levels - and quickly too.

Good luck and best wishes - John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.