The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was just diagnosed with type II> put on metformin. It is very painful and montazuma is laughing. Is there a better version of the drug that doesn't cause stomache pain?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oh schin . . . welcome aboard. I'm so sorry to hear you've tangled with Montezuma already, but yes, metformin has a reputation for it. Ask your doctor about using the extended release version, if you aren't using it already. Usually these symptoms subside in a few days/weeks, so try to get along if you can. Metformin does have a lot of benefits for us, once we get used to it.

Thank you for joining us, and please come by often. Keep us posted how things are.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Montezuma is a new name for me! I always heard it to be referred to as Metfartin, LOL. It does help to take it with food. Some people can't tolerate it but give it a chance as like Shanny said the sideaffects usually subside in a few days/weeks. It doesn't bother me now except every now and than when I eat a meal with too much fat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Metformin XR

Oh schin . . . welcome aboard. I'm so sorry to hear you've tangled with Montezuma already, but yes, metformin has a reputation for it. Ask your doctor about using the extended release version, if you aren't using it already. Usually these symptoms subside in a few days/weeks, so try to get along if you can. Metformin does have a lot of benefits for us, once we get used to it.

Thank you for joining us, and please come by often. Keep us posted how things are.
Well thanks for the welcome. I was not on metformin extended. Soon after I started I requested something else and was prescribed Actos. No stomache pain but I'm developing edema. I am a person with paraplegia and work full time and am prone to it anyway but this has me seearching for yet another alternative. Maybe I can try the XR. I was starting to lose weight with the metformin. Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Metformin has helped me lose weight also - it curbs my appetite . . . I hope you'll ask your doc about the extended release version. It might make all the difference in the world.

Keep us posted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts