The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Metformin XR (ER) take time to be effective? I have started it 3 days back and don't see much difference in my results.

·
Registered
78 Posts
on regular metformin, i saw my fasting BGs go down pretty much right away. Combined with diet changes, it took about 3 weeks for me to get down to a level resembling normal (in the 100s)

I would think you should start seeing BGs go down over the next few days

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Metformin has to accumulate in your system and can take up to a month or so. I also found at the lower doses 500, 1000 and 1700 mg the metformin was not effective for me. It wasn't until I raised it to 2550 mg in 3 doses of 850 that it really started to work. Also have you made diet changes, it works much better on a low carb diet and if you exercise regularly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Metformin has to accumulate in your system and can take up to a month or so. I also found at the lower doses 500, 1000 and 1700 mg the metformin was not effective for me. It wasn't until I raised it to 2550 mg in 3 doses of 850 that it really started to work. Also have you made diet changes, it works much better on a low carb diet and if you exercise regularly.
Thanks.
Yeah, I have made changes in my diet and excercise. I will wait for next few days to see how my BG goes down.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
How much are you taking? If the dose isn't high enough you may need to increase it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Metformin takes about 3 weeks to build up in your system, though you likely will see some effect right away.

-Lloyd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts