The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, relatively new to this forum, just wanted to post that I was on Metformin (2 x 500g at bedtime with food) [Type 2] and besides the benefits in the blood sugars, I can't believe the difference with the toilet. I'm no longer waking up at night to go and I thought everyone was like me lol, I've gotten such a great quality of sleep since I started Metformin I can't believe it. Cheers :) Julie

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Yeah - I was amazed at how long a roll of toilet paper lasted!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I take the maximum of metformin- 2550 mg and yes it has really improved my life, too. I am now back to my college weight, which isn't bad for an old lady.

Reactions: jmccamish

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all, relatively new to this forum, just wanted to post that I was on Metformin (2 x 500g at bedtime with food) [Type 2] and besides the benefits in the blood sugars, I can't believe the difference with the toilet. I'm no longer waking up at night to go and I thought everyone was like me lol, I've gotten such a great quality of sleep since I started Metformin I can't believe it. Cheers :) Julie
it's the opposite of me..the 2nd week on Metf, I always end up waking in the middle of the night having trouble breathing ( because of the stomach gas ). But now I switch to XR version and everything seems okay.

Enjoy the Metf!!:D

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Yeah - I was amazed at how long a roll of toilet paper lasted!
Heck yeah!

Since going no-low carb, bowel movements are a breeze.
Its nice to go every few days with easy "clean up", rather then
Once or twice a day with a lot of wiping! lol

G

·
lol.... well metformin was not kind at all to me for the entire time I was on it, and I reckon I went through way too much loo paper! Glad to hear it's working a treat for you though. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have 6 more weeks of my 12 week plan to get my BG lowered by diet and exersize, then my Dr. said if my BG is not where it needs to be she wants to put me on metformin. this is all new to me but i looked it [metformin] up on the web and didn't like what i read of possible side effects. in 6 weeks i lost 15lbs, cut my BG in less than half, LDL from 189 to 107, so i'm am hopeful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was put on metformin about 6 weeks ago but I'm not liking it. It's great blood rise. I got my first sub 5 morning reading (mostly get 8's) but it makes me feel sick. I'm hoping I'll get use to this.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was put on metformin about 6 weeks ago but I'm not liking it. It's great blood rise. I got my first sub 5 morning reading (mostly get 8's) but it makes me feel sick. I'm hoping I'll get use to this.
The side effects of metformin usually subside after a few weeks, Scott . . . are you taking regular met or the extended release version? Many people have fewer side effects on the ER version.

·
Registered
930 Posts
yeah, i think metformin is the only good drug for type 2 diabetes that there is.
only thing is that your guts and kidneys must be able to tolerate it.
my guts can take it ok, but my kidneys are now failing so i had to give it up.
it worked well for me when i was taking it, my failing kidneys not withstanding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shanny said:
The side effects of metformin usually subside after a few weeks, Scott . . . are you taking regular met or the extended release version? Many people have fewer side effects on the ER version.
It's just metformin I think. 2x 500mg a day. But my good news is that on my last visit to the hospital they decided to take me off the gliclazide (2x 40mg day) and my levels have been fine, a few blips but I totally know what caused them. The HBA1C (or whatever it's called) had decreased to 6. They say they are going to continue treating me at the hospital rather than GP's as I'm Type 1 but still have a little of my own insulin but say I will more than likely need insulin soon.

Ps. The met sickness is gone now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Metformin....I'm kind of torn on. At first the bathroom visits were great! I had been prone to constipation for some time and it loosened me right up. Now though.....not sure if it's the Met or what but I only have a movement about once a week and it's like diarrhea. This is embarrassing to talk about.
Some times catching me completely by surprise with no warning and No I don't make it to the bathroom. That's happening more and more lately.
I see the gastro dr. next month and I'll let you all know what he thinks.
I've been taking it over a year now btw.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I eat lots of fibre and I would explode with one a week. Are you eating plenty of high fibre foods.
I can't eat a lot of high fiber foods because of Gastroparesis. That's one of my worst enemies. I do try and make sure I get some daily fiber though.
The weird part is that I never *feel* like I even need to use the bathroom. In the past I would be like you feeling like I would explode and be very uncomfortable. Now I don't have that feeling at all til it's time.
It puts me in mind of a commercial I've seen recently for baby diapers and the little babies are on stage singing...."Poop! there it is!"
LoL

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
According to what I read when I Googled that question, if kidneys are normal, metformin should have no effect. But, if there is a pre-existing condition, it may be contraindicated. Also, dye and metformin are not compatible if I understood it correctly.

Anyway, no damage on normal kidneys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.