The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!!!!

Well my physician added Metformin 500mg to my already Janumet 50/500 2x per day. So what should I expect? Thanks for any responses!!!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Maybe some stomach problems for a bit, but maybe not. Just be forewarned and try to stick with it for a while. (Or, that's what I read.) Hope you are doing okay so far.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Well, you are already getting Metformin in your janumet. What dose is your new metformin Rx for? Many times when people increase metformin they may have some GI symptoms until their systems adjust to the new dose. Did you have any problems when you started Janumet?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Metformin does is 500mg in the am........I have some GI stuff but nothing I can't tolerate : )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I'm on metformin too. I actually had a hard time with stomach cramping and pain so I changed to extended release tablets. I take 1000mg twice daily though. It really helped me. I have very little stomach pain now. So yeah, if the pain doesn't subside, ask for extended release tablets.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm on metformin too. I actually had a hard time with stomach cramping and pain so I changed to extended release tablets. I take 1000mg twice daily though. It really helped me. I have very little stomach pain now. So yeah, if the pain doesn't subside, ask for extended release tablets.
I see my Doctor next Friday so I will let him know. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I found it helpful to take the Metformin with food when I first started and I still continue that practice, otherwise I have stomach probs - BIG TIME.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It says it will take around 2 to 4 weeks to kick in.. mine didnt kick it as much.. still hitting 6.2 to 7.4 in the morning fasting sugar...

I am asking my Dr if i can take 1000mg Xr x 2 a day..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts