The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First time, My doctor prescribed me one 1000 mg ER instead of 2 , 500 mg. My pharmacy gave me 1000 MG osmatic, is it same as 1000 MG ER ?

Also,

I see there is much difference in cost of 2 500MG ER tablets Vs one 1000 MG osmatic tablet. Both are generic.. My insurance rejected 1000 MG osmatic table. (could be because of cost). I have asked my doctor to prescribe 2 , 500 mg instead of one 1000 mg ER.

Is there any difference in terms of impact If I take two 500 mg Vs one 1000 mg.?

Thanks
Manu

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
This link hopefully will answer your question as to what osmotic means/is: Metformin vs Metformin (MOD vs OSM): What’s the Difference? - GoodRx

It seems (I didn't know either...) osmotic is indeed extended-release.

As to whether 2x 500 ER = 1 1000 ER, I would say they're the same. It could be possible to see a difference if one took 500 mg 2x daily, though I never saw a difference in when I took my metformin, or if I spread out the dosage via morning and evening.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am on 2000 MG of Metformin and my doc prescribes them in 500 MG pills (I take 4 of those a day) because of the cost. No difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually before 5 months, my A1C was 6.2 . then I came to New York and my new doctor prescribed one 1000 MG , earlier I used to take 2 *500 MG. I started to take one 1000 MG osmotic ( that time insurance covered it). Last week , I had blood test and It was horrible to see my A1C as 8.5. ( life time high).I didn't have any change in dieting, life style except change in medication. Now I am going back to 2*500 MG . Both things happened together -1) Insurance rejected to continue 1000 MG osmotic and my high reading of A1C.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Looks like you may need to take a closer look at what you are eating. Metformin/osmotic can certainly help, but if you are eating more carbs than your body can process without raising BG, then some of those carby foods may need to go.

Have you ever been on the LCHF way of eating?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you may need to take a closer look at what you are eating. Metformin/osmotic can certainly help, but if you are eating more carbs than your body can process without raising BG, then some of those carby foods may need to go.

Have you ever been on the LCHF way of eating?
Yes. I need to watch out. I try my best for LCHF but as a pure vegetarian , Many times, I failed to strict on LCHF.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Walmart = $4.00 30 days; $10.00 90 days
That's a good price. If you belong to Sam's Club, you can do a little bit better. Last year, Sam's told us if we "upped" our membership to "plus", it would give us discounts on our drugs so I researched the differences in all of my scripts and decided it was to our advantage to do so. I just got my first script for metformin today and it was $6.00 for 90 so I'm a happy camper. If you take more prescriptions, you might want to check out Sam's.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am curious as to what everyone has to pay for their metformin if they're not insured?
"Check GoodRX.com - you can find the cheapest non-insurance rate for your meds (not just Metformin).
Every week we collect millions of prices and discounts from pharmacies, drug manufacturers and other sources. Here's how you can use it to save:

Use GoodRx's drug price search to compare prices (just like you do for travel or electronics on other sites) for your prescription at pharmacies near you. We don't sell the medications, we tell you where you can get the best deal on them.

GoodRx will show you prices, coupons, discounts and savings tips for your prescription at pharmacies near you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts