The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so about 8 weeks ago i was diagnosed as T2. i have been working hard at keeping my BG down through diet, exercise, and 1000mg of metformine 2xday. i have rarely ever got any of my numbers below 100. i think i have 2 numbers in the 90's and one number in the 70's right after exercise. my FBG's have been 115-125. and most of my pre and post meal numbers during the day have been around 105-125 depending on the amount of carbs in my meals.

this week it seems like my body is changing. my FBG's are still in the 115-125 range, but my pre/post meals are 117-135. I have not changed my diet and i am eating the same meals that i was eating during the last 6 week or so. i have continued to exercise 3-4 days a week. so i am puzzled why my numbers are inching up. i am also concerned that i cant seem to get into the 90's except by accident.

i am eating under 60 carbs a day normally closer to around 40.

so i am wondering. can the metformine not be doing its job anymore? or did i just not have enough insulin in the first place?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
930 Posts
can you say "leaky gut" or "systemic candida" . Just Joking! :D

but really if you have "systemic candida" it will control your fasting blood sugar with it's toxins to where it wants it, usually around 120 mg/dl or so, regardless of what you do. unless of course you use a lot of "glyburide", then it will eventually burn out your pancreas to get back to 120 mg/dl and beyond.

this is of course just the opinion of an old hillbilly that has experimented with this kind of thing.

so about 8 weeks ago i was diagnosed as T2. i have been working hard at keeping my BG down through diet, exercise, and 1000mg of metformine 2xday. i have rarely ever got any of my numbers below 100. i think i have 2 numbers in the 90's and one number in the 70's right after exercise. my FBG's have been 115-125. and most of my pre and post meal numbers during the day have been around 105-125 depending on the amount of carbs in my meals.

this week it seems like my body is changing. my FBG's are still in the 115-125 range, but my pre/post meals are 117-135. I have not changed my diet and i am eating the same meals that i was eating during the last 6 week or so. i have continued to exercise 3-4 days a week. so i am puzzled why my numbers are inching up. i am also concerned that i cant seem to get into the 90's except by accident.

i am eating under 60 carbs a day normally closer to around 40.

so i am wondering. can the metformine not be doing its job anymore? or did i just not have enough insulin in the first place?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
One of the things about Diabetes is that it is always changing. Did you recently refill your meformin? I have found my pharmacy uses different manufacturers and they tend to work differently. I have also found over the past 4 years the same meals give me differeent bgs. I think I have lowered or raised my bgs many times to achieve better numbers. The answer sometimes is something you wouldn't expect. Sometimes to get better numbers I have had to add calories or even a small serving of a healthy carb to jumpstart insulin production. For example yesterday my bgs were running a little high for me in the late morning - 125. So I made some sprouted grain toast and ate it with butter and sugar free jam. 2 hours later my bgs were 103. So you need to get to know your own body and kind of experiment.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Stress, illness (even at the "fighting it off" stage), insomnia, oversleeping and, even, weather changes -- my personal favorite -- can cause changes in BGLs despite consistent diet, exercise and meds.

You may want to discuss adjusting your dose of metformin with your doc, and ask him/her for tips on making your own adjustments as circumstances change. Your numbers aren't too awful, but they've been running somewhat high from the start.

Best of luck! Please keep us posted.

O

·
0 Posts
I agree with what Shalynne has mentioned. In particular the weather temp does alter your BGLs. Your body gets heat stress which impacts on your BGLs. When it gets cooler it changes again and you're more sensitive to your insulin. Having diabetes you learn quick that not everything makes sense all the time. It can get rather frustrating. I've had type 2 for 13 years now and I can tell you it's not all been the same... it constantly changes and surprises you. Keeping a positive attitude helps you cope with it better. I think if I wasn't a positive person generally I'd be a mess with all this health stuff I'm dealing with. Your BGLs are slightly higher but they are still within safe levels. Just keep an eye on things and discuss everything with your doc/endo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts