The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wonder; I see very often you say you use the micro to make food in. I`ve learned that when you make food in the microwave you remove over 80 % of the nutrition in the food?
I just wonder if it is just a norwegian thing to be scared of nuking the food?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Sarcasm

Sarcasm from a 69 yo fool :)

From a single male's POV:

While it may be true that microwaving food may destroy most of the nutrition, most of the food microwaved is processed crap that has little nutritional value to begin with so microwaving it makes little difference and the microwave's inbuilt timer keeps one from destroying yet another container and stinking up the place.

On the other hand, it may be unhealthy to heat anything in a plastic container because of the toxins released from plastic when heated.

ColaJim :p

I just wonder; I see very often you say you use the micro to make food in. I`ve learned that when you make food in the microwave you remove over 80 % of the nutrition in the food?

Reactions: optimist and Shanny

·
Registered
741 Posts
When I use the microwave it is for very short bursts...say 2minutes...and that is maybe twice a week.

I'm more likely to warm food up than cook it except for scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have started to reheat leftovers in glass not plastic. I'm not sure I buy the losing 80% of the nutrition, either. All cooking will destroy nutrients whether it is steaming on thes stove or nuking. I am just not ready to eat a totally Raw diet. I know some nutritionists believe roasting nuts makes them unhealthy. Have you ever tried to find peanut butter that is not made from roasted nuts?

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I buy raw peanuts with shell, and make my own peanut butter. Tastes really good, but I dont make it so often.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
61 Posts
I`ve learned that when you make food in the microwave you remove over 80 % of the nutrition in the food?
It is not just a norwegian thing. jwags is correct, no matter how you cook veggies, they lose some nutritional value. So we might as well save ourselves some extra time and work by using the nuker.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Actually, Jim is the most correct here. The high nutritional loss is true ONLY if cooked too long or in a certain way and one of the myths associated with micro cooking is:

"Microwave destroys the nutrients in food. The facts: Yes, it is true. But don't you know that microwave retains more nutrients than other forms of cooking, if you don't use a lot of water and don't overcook the food." From: Microwave Cooking - Does it Destroy Nutrients in Vegetables?

I've never been big on microwave usage and typically it is only used to reheat coffee of leftovers and never to cook something. All my veggies are steamed or sautéd in butter.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We use the microwave every day & multiple times a day - mostly for heating coffee & defrosting things. I HAVE started cooking my green bananas in it - I just bathe the peeled bananas in lemon juice & pile them in a covered casserole dish. Five/six minutes is about all it takes to cook five or six big bananas.

Tonight for my supper, I poured about 1/3 cup of cream in a microwave bowl, added a handful of grated cheddar, a small handful of mozzarella, minced fresh onion & a dash of salt. Nuked it until it was smooth & well heated. Added my sliced bananas & nuked it a little longer. It was a splendid bowl of scalloped "potatoes", which I enjoyed every bit as much as my better half enjoyed the beautiful low-carb breaded pork chop I fixed him. :D

I occasionally do vegetables in it too, but I never add water & I cook them only tender-crisp. We don't like mushy veggies. Even in my scallop tonight, I like the onions to be crisp & crunchy in the casserole. I think it's easier to get them just right in the microwave, than in a pan of water, and it preserves colors a lot better.

I don't buy the 80% thing; I think cooking destroys some of the nutrients all the way around, but I doubt that nuking destroys any more than any other method of cooking.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I have enough things to worry about. :D I use all glass containers for food storage and only use the microwave for short reheating (~1 minute). If it's going to kill me, well it will have to get in line after the diabetes and everything else!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Actually, Jim is the most correct here. The high nutritional loss is true ONLY if cooked too long or in a certain way and one of the myths associated with micro cooking is:

"Microwave destroys the nutrients in food. The facts: Yes, it is true. But don't you know that microwave retains more nutrients than other forms of cooking, if you don't use a lot of water and don't overcook the food." From: Microwave Cooking - Does it Destroy Nutrients in Vegetables?

I've never been big on microwave usage and typically it is only used to reheat coffee of leftovers and never to cook something. All my veggies are steamed or sautéd in butter.
Spot on. :thumb: Nuking "superheats" the water in the food, so it heats/cooks from within. Nutrients are not destroyed any differently than if the food had been cooked in some other way. Nuking also does not render the food radioactive, as some myths would have us believe. :rolleyes:

Reactions: optimist
1 - 15 of 15 Posts