The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am a newby on the forum but unfortunately not new to high blood sugar. It started to raise 10-12 years ago and has been kept in control with metforum for the last 2-3 years.

Fasting (morning) was usually in the 115-125 region, so have slowly increased the doseage up to 2000 mg a day, usually taken at night before bedtime. Doc said take it anytime and did not matter if you split it up or not.

The past several months my blood sugar has gotten higher than normal (200 or so) and I have not been able to get to the doctor to address this as I travel for a living and am not home. It seems that everything that I do is counter-productive to making it go down again.

Have lost 40 pounds in the last 6-8 months and thats done wonders for my blood pressure and feel great but sure wish that the BS would do the same. Still weigh just under 230 but am 6'2" and big framed. Want to get in the 210 weight region but thats going to be another month or so.

Have been a "lurker" on the forum for a while know and have started with the apple vinegar pills hoping that this might help, and switched my lunch mean to veggies, usually carrots. Do not drink booze anymore, and usually go between plain water (carbonated at times) and lemonaid.

Sure would appreciate suggestions as I have to get this under control.

Thx,

FT

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum Flattwin. If you've been lurking for a while then you know you're in an informational, supportive place.

First about the metformin. 2,000 mg is a lot to take at once. That's the dosage I take but split it up AM/PM. In fact, my endocrinologist was so concerned about this, that the last time I left his office my cell phone rang not 5 minutes later. It was him, verifying I'm not taking both at the same time (his nurse had wrote down 2,000/day). I take one when I wake up and one right before bed. Some need to take it with food, I seem to do best just remembering!

You didn't say anything about your diet. Again, if you've lurked here, you know there are a lot of serious low-carbers here. The reason is because it works for a lot of people. You've probably also discovered there's a lot of testing going on to determine what sort of diet is the best, what foods we can tolerate, etc. It's different for everyone, but when I landed here a few months ago I went with the majority and slashed my carbs - it worked!

The only thing you mentioned about lunch is carrots. They're one of the higher-carb veggies. Do you eat protein? Other vegetables? Healthy fats? What are your breakfasts like? Are you testing after meals as well?

If you give the group more information, you'll get heaps of feedback based on knowledge and personal experience.

Glad you're here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moon,

Thanks for the reply and welcome.

First off my diet is terrible and that does not help things. Being "on the road" much of the month is a bad start and eating out most of the meals does not help. Just found out after reading on the forum that my favorite side dish of rice, beans and potato's is going to have to stop, as is my love of bread. At least I have been eating nothing but whole wheat bread's for years now.

Regarding the Metformin, totally agree and have in the last couple of weeks split it up, usually taking one at b-fast, one at dinner and the remaining two tabs late at night before bed. Never had any problems but then my stomach is made of cast iron it seems.

Have been a meat eater most of my life. Thats what I grew up with. Trying to wean myself from anything fried and love a good piece of salmon cooked on the grill. Problem is that for the last 50 years or so it was eaten along with a baked potato and thats not good for me now so get to find substitutes. Am guessing that green beans or brocoli are going to bee next on the menu! Also eat a fair amount of chicken and steak but as usual its from a restaurant when not at home.

Thanks for the help!

FT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to change the above a bit. My diet used to be really bad, course eating out on the road does not help.

Have not started to get it under control but it sure is not easy. Am home the next 10 days and trying to change things. While carrots may not be the best of veggies, they sure are a lot better than what I would have been eating, a turkey sandwich on W/W! May have to switch to the turkey and a wrap in the future.

FT

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Well, the good news is that you know what you need to do, and you know with the amt of carbs you've been eating that you aren't stuck in those high numbers.

I've found eating out to be a mixed bag. On the one hand, menus are tough to navigate because there's so much I can't eat, on the other hand, I've had some of the most delicious meals ever! I've found servers and chefs so cooperative and helpful in putting together a delicious plate of food, mixing items I can eat and adding creative touches. If something comes with a starch, I don't just navigate around it on my plate, but get them to replace it with something else. Just last week for lunch the chef turned the trout sandwich into a delicious plate of trout on a bed of kale.

There are lots of suggestions in the menu section, and you'll find yourself eating things you had forgotten about. Just last night I made a huge bowl of coleslaw because someone posted about it. I love coleslaw but because of my former low-fat diet rarely ate it.

I hear you about long-life carb habits. I'm 60 and have eaten a high-carb diet forever as well. My perfect dinner until 3 months ago was a great big plate/bowl of risotto. I made dumplings, whole grain crusty bread, myriad ice creams, etc. but didn't eat much meat. Now, I don't even recognize my plate of food as belonging to me!

Once you get the hang of it, you'll find all those habits are easier to kick than you'd imagine. Just takes a little detox period ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am a couple of years younger than you so we are in the same ballpark.

Another issue is that I absolutely hate excercising, and this is another thing that I have to get into my routine. I sit a lot for my work and that does not help either!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, FT . . . thank you for joining us! We do love it when our lurkers decide to dive in! ;)

If you like wraps, there are several high-fiber/low-carb tortillas which don't cause spiking for many of us . . . the brand I use is Olè Xtreme Wellness, and there are others. So I enjoy all the burritos/quesadillas/fajitas that I did before, and also have some nifty chicken wraps & breakfast wraps (just LOVE a few strips of bacon, spoonful of scrambled eggs & shredded cheese in a nice warm tortilla . . .
)

You need not avoid fried foods - the fats are good for us diabetics. Foods that are BREADED & fried cause the trouble. But when YOU'RE doing the cooking, you can use low-carb breading, and eat with abandon. Just last night I fried chicken & made cream gravy with the drippings. Just because we can't have potatoes or bread was no reason to eliminate that wonderful gravy, so we ate it on our green beans. About the same as creamed green beans, only better! :D

And just for the record - I hate exercise too! :mad: ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shanny,

Thanks for the note and help! I absolutely love gravy so thats a big plus!

Am not a real big fan of wraps but sure appears that they are going to be replacing bread in my future diet, so might as well get to like them.

You are in the Ozarks? Be safe this afternoon and evening, just had a tornado sighted in the Joplin area.

FT

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Here's one straight-across comparison I can make . . . I love Arby's - have for many years. Now that I've found these wraps that don't spike me, I take one along to Arby's. I take the filling from two regular Arby's & drizzle on some Arby & Horsey sauce . . . wrap it up in my tortilla & I gotta tell ye, it's at least as good or better than eating it with the bun. Honest & truly!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
For years I have been making crisp fried chicken without any breading. I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut them in half so they cook all the way through by the time they are browned. I dry them with a paper towel, sprinkle on salt, pepper & garlic powder, throw them in the deep frier until browned. It's easy to do and they taste yum.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Here's the low-carb breading I've been using . . . Brandi's Breading . . . and it's wonderful! I've used it on both BSCB & bone-in chicken, beef, pork, fish, liver . . . terrific flavor & terrific drippings for gravy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boy, very interesting evening and morning!

Have been on the "low carb" diet for a couple of days now. Went down one pound in the last 3 days so that helps but yesterday when I checked my BS it was still way over 200, so not good.

Yesterday went over the forum and found several ideas, plus whats on this thread and went to the health food store. Got some Apple cider vinegar and Milk Thistle pills along with some fresh veggies. Made a nice "chicken on a stick" cooked on the grill and some carrots on the side. Then after dinner hopped on the excercise bike and did a good 20 minute stint there.

Woke up this morning and checked my BS and was really shocked. Where it was up yesterday, today was in the 170 region, a good 50-60 point drop! Not sure which of the things I did helped with this but will sure take it!

Another day, and some good progress!

Just checking the radar and Joplin has another storm just West of it now. Looks like its heading to Springfield after that so you all be careful today! Still have friends there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boy, must be doing something right. Its still coming down!

Just checked my fasting reading and it was 157 this morning, over 100 points down from what it was only 3-4 days ago. This is after the same routine as noted before and another 20 minutes on the bike last night.

Its hard to not like the diet and excercise when the result is so positive. Sure glad I found this group!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wrap it up!

Shanny, I find myself agreeing with you alot lately. The wrap idea I thought was a personal secret.

I used to go to Sonic and get the Supersonic breakfast burrito with the tater tots left out. (I still do sometimes)

Now I make my own with low carb tortillas, Jimmy Dean crumbles, eggs, onion and pepper mix from frozen food section and cheese. I literally eat these EVERY morning. I have absolutely no spikes for breakfast anymore.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny, I find myself agreeing with you alot lately. The wrap idea I thought was a personal secret.

I used to go to Sonic and get the Supersonic breakfast burrito with the tater tots left out. (I still do sometimes)

Now I make my own with low carb tortillas, Jimmy Dean crumbles, eggs, onion and pepper mix from frozen food section and cheese. I literally eat these EVERY morning. I have absolutely no spikes for breakfast anymore.
Another thing we agree on - breakfast sausage GOTTA be Jimmy Dean! ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One nice thing about the Nutrisystem program is that they do have some wraps on their menu. One that I love is the Buffalo Chicken that is a bit spicy but very good. Its 240 calories and 25 grams of carbs, so its pretty healthy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts