The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to sift through every other thread in this forum, so I figured I would make my own.

For some background, I am in college, 18 years old, female, and an average weight, close to underweight. (If that helps at all, I'm not sure.)

My symptoms started about a month ago, but I didn't notice them until recently when they started getting worse. Beginning of January, I noticed I was feeling exceptionally fatigued and just always exhausted. I was also drinking excessive amounts of water and using the bathroom a lot, but I just figured I needed more water. I was always ravenously hungry, but I was losing weight (this I didn't notice until recently).

Last week, these symptoms began to worsen and I noticed my weight loss. I only noticed because my pants were a bit bigger than before. Prior to this weight loss, I was approximately 130 pounds (I am 5 feet 4 inches tall) and after the weight loss, I am around 115 pounds.

This week, everything started to get worse and more symptoms began to show up. Tuesday night, beginning just after dinner so around 7:00 pm, I began to feel dizzy, confused, lightheaded, fatigued, shaky, unsteady on my feet, my body felt heavy, I had heart palpitations, and I thought I was going to pass out. So, I texted my friend, who is a diabetic, and I asked her what to do. I wasn't suspected a blood sugar issue, but I figured she could maybe help because her parents are both nurses. She told me it sounded like low blood sugar and said to get a friend to bring me something high in protein because that would help. So I contacted a friend and brought me some turkey and a black bean burger. Shortly after I ate, I started to feel much better.

Now, last night (so Wednesday night), I started to experience these symptoms, but they were much worse and to add to the list, I felt extremely nauseous and had an odd pain on the right side of my abdomen that felt like a strange sort of pressure I suppose, but was painful to the touch. They got severe enough that I asked somebody to drive me to the Emergency Room. When I got there, we relayed my symptoms and they took my vitals and such. They took some blood and a pee sample and then hooked me up to an IV with fluids because they thought I might be dehydrated. (I don't know how that could be, I drink loads of water.) They pumped 2 liters of fluids into me and gave me something for nausea.

When my labs came back, they said everything was negative and said that it was odd. They did however say that I am anemic, but that it wouldn't account for all my symptoms and neither would the dehydration. The ER doctor told me that she had some concerns about my pancreas and that I would need to get more testing done when I go for my follow-up on Wednesday. She also advised me to buy a cheap glucose meter to track my blood sugars until the appointment to see if they show any changes and whatnot. I have been tracking those and everything I eat in a journal.

Sorry for the long explanation, I am just trying to figure out what is going on with me and it is extremely nerve wracking not knowing. I would be eternally thankful for any feedback anybody might be able to give me!

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
The ER doctor told me that she had some concerns about my pancreas and that I would need to get more testing done when I go for my follow-up on Wednesday. She also advised me to buy a cheap glucose meter to track my blood sugars until the appointment to see if they show any changes and whatnot. I have been tracking those and everything I eat in a journal.
The ER doctor gave you good advice and keeping a journal is a good thing to do. I'm sure this whole thing for you is very scary and frustrating.

IF (and this is a big "if" and not at all a diagnosis) you are having a reactive hypoglycemia episode after meals (which could have some of the symptoms you describe) the best thing you could do is to greatly reduce carbohydrates when you eat. It shouldn't hurt you even if it's not R.H.

Hang in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ER doctor gave you good advice and keeping a journal is a good thing to do. I'm sure this whole thing for you is very scary and frustrating.

IF (and this is a big "if" and not at all a diagnosis) you are having a reactive hypoglycemia episode after meals (which could have some of the symptoms you describe) the best thing you could do is to greatly reduce carbohydrates when you eat. It shouldn't hurt you even if it's not R.H.

Hang in there.
Thank you for the encouragement! I just really need to figure this whole thing out because I have so many other things that I need to handle too. I think it's more terrifying not knowing what is going on, than when I figure out what is happening.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
She also advised me to buy a cheap glucose meter to track my blood sugars until the appointment to see if they show any changes and whatnot. I have been tracking those
can you share some of the results . that would be a good indication to begin with

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you share some of the results . that would be a good indication to begin with
I only got my meter this afternoon, so I don't have many results to share. I spoke to a friend at dinner who has diabetes and she suggested taking my blood sugar about every hour after dinner since that is when I usually experience the symptoms.

6:00 pm (Just before I had dinner) 92
7:00 pm 130
8:30 pm 139
9:30 pm 107
10:30 pm (Just now) 95

I haven't felt any symptoms today like I had for the past couple of days. I am probably going to go to bed and then take it when I first wake up in the morning. These numbers seem normal enough to me, but I don't know a whole lot about this.

Thank you for any advice or input!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know it might be very frustrating, not knowing what's wrong and waiting. Considering that you are only 18! But hang in there, knowing and understanding what is wrong is the best thing to do as it will help you take care of yourself.

·
Super Moderator
9,634 Posts
Hi KelseyRay, welcome to the forum. Curious if you are a student living at home or away at school? What are your typical meals like? Are you eating regularly? Have you done any more testing of your BG?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts