The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year after undergoing a considerable amount of stress, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. One year on, after three HbA1cs of 4.9,;4.9 and 4.8 respectively, I had another oral glucose test two days ago and this morning was informed by my GP that I have now been reclassified with Impaired Glucose Telerance. Is this common? Has this happened to anyone else? The news is still very fresh and it's hard to take it all in.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Last year after undergoing a considerable amount of stress, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. One year on, after three HbA1cs of 4.9,;4.9 and 4.8 respectively, I had another oral glucose test two days ago and this morning was informed by my GP that I have now been reclassified with Impaired Glucose Telerance. Is this common? Has this happened to anyone else? The news is still very fresh and it's hard to take it all in.
have you change your diet/exercise regime since being diagnosed as a T2? I had a good honeymoon period for a while there when I first was diagnosed but eventually my A1Cs began to rise again and I graduated to oral meds ect. but that's me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you change your diet/exercise regime since being diagnosed as a T2? I had a good honeymoon period for a while there when I first was diagnosed but eventually my A1Cs began to rise again and I graduated to oral meds ect. but that's me
Joe, sorry to hear that your A1cs have started to rise and you've had to start on oral meds. That's disappointing. It's horrible that despite your best efforts things stoped going so well.

I did change my diet to low carb, eventually. Must say it took a while to do the research - being diagosed as a diabetic is a roller coaster of an experience and for the first few months I found it hard to eat anything at all. And I did make sure that I walked my dog at least once a day (during my stressed period I'd probably let that slip a little and my husband would do my walking shifts). I also began swimming, but only a couple of times a week - so not that much of a change.

I find it all very strange. When I was first diagnosed, the first words the diabetic nurse said to me was that I was diabetic and would be for the rest of my life. So how come suddenly I'm not. Worryingly, my GP, who told me about the reclassification yesterday, treats the topic like a hot potato and won't give me any real answers. So that's why I'd really like to know if anyone has any experience of this 'phenomenon'.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Unfortunately you'll find times when one will say one thing and another will say something else. It's aggravating as all get out. I've seen what seems like bunches of different ones and most have a different opinion from the next. :mad:
Very few make me feel like they really understand the disease.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My thoughts are that we need to continue what's working for us anyhow, and the medical community can call it whatever they darn please. We know there's impaired function of some sort in our processing of carbohydrate, and that it isn't going away. About the only thing some of these docs are good for is ordering the lab tests we need & prescribing the meds. Otherwise, they don't know sic 'em about diabetes. The honest ones will admit that they don't know . . . others just evade the issue.

If I were you, Bridget, I'd continue my exercise (swimming is THE BEST!) & low-carb way of eating. Continue monitoring your BGL, and if your doc is inclined to discuss, tell him this is what CONTROL looks like, meaning you haven't changed the nature of the beast, but you have certainly taken control of it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
A lot of doctors use impaired glucose tolerance, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome interchangeably. Technically, pre D starts around 5.7 and full fledged D starts somewhere 6-6.5 territory. I'm curious what was your original HbA1c last year. Many of us can get normal HbA1c's by special diets but we are still D. We are just managing our bg's. Impaired Glucose Tolerance means you do not metabolise carbs very well, so be careful. Numbers can reverse very quickly if you slip off your diet.

G

·
well I agree with the others... it still requires control from you at the end of the day. I was not only diagnosed with diabetes and pcos at the same time, but I was clearly told I had metabolic syndrome... heh? I then figured out it was just a fancy term to say I had a few things going on that affects my metabolism. But there are all these labels they use and all we can do is do our best to understand our bodies and control things as best we can... it doesn't always work I'll admit... but trying is and staying positive is definitely the key. I'm thinking that impaired glucose intolerance is still just a fancy way to say you aren't processing carbs too well... which can probably lead to diabetes anyhow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of doctors use impaired glucose tolerance, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome interchangeably. Technically, pre D starts around 5.7 and full fledged D starts somewhere 6-6.5 territory. I'm curious what was your original HbA1c last year. Many of us can get normal HbA1c's by special diets but we are still D. We are just managing our bg's. Impaired Glucose Tolerance means you do not metabolise carbs very well, so be careful. Numbers can reverse very quickly if you slip off your diet.
I do understand I stlll have a problem - and will do for the rest of my life. Not much fairness about it, but you guys know all about that. I can't tell you what my original HbA1c was because they didn't do one for three months. That was my fault. I needed time to come to terms with the diagnosis (failed the oral glucose test) and had to give up my job because of the stress a bullying boss was putting me under. My first HbA1c came in at 4.9 and the diabetes nurse wondered if I was starving myself. Maybe I was, a little.

The GP cited my stress as being the reason for being 'misdiagnosed'. But they knew all about my stress at the time - signed off with various ailments for various periods of time. Anxiety, depression etc. T'was not a nice time.... Still, getting shot from the Boss from Hell was one of the best moves I've ever made!

So I am having a wee break from the diet over Easter (just the odd treat) but know it'll be back to low carb on Tuesday, that's my default setting. And lots of dog walks. Brilliant weather for that. I feel like I've discovered the holy grail. How could they get it so wrong, telling everyone that dietery fat is the enemy? My heart breaks for everyone suffering weight and diabetes problems in this carb toxic world. I want to shout at people in the supermarket - but no-one would listen, unless they, or someone close, gets sick.

About the Boss from Hell. I was so angry because the stress she put me under and my diabetes were forever linked. No more. If I get put back on the diabetes register a second time then I will have no-one to blame but myself. Which is the way it should be.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'm sorta in your position. I asked for an A1C during some routine blood work last June and when it came back 6.9 I immediately began reading about Diabetes and put myself on an Atkins/Bernstein diet after reading all I could. It made an immediate difference in my A1C which now is 5.2 and I lost 45 lbs. My doctor says I'm no longer in diabetic danger, but I know better. I'm now trying to control by eating pretty much the same things, but adding a few carbs now and then that I didn't when I was on the diet full time. My doctor tells me that being OCD has made the difference. I'm still buying my own strips as without a diagnosis, Medicare won't pay for them.

We've got to work at this all the time for the rest of our lives and be very careful.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Pat - welcome to DF. Isn't it weird that medical professionals think we're being obsessive & compulsive when we tend to the diet details that will save our very lives?! And when your A1c came back 6.9, what did the doc say about it? He didn't offer a diagnosis? Incredible! I'm so glad you have a mind of your own! :D :D :D

I hope you have time to visit us often . . . looking forward to getting better acquainted! :smile:

p.s. I'm on Medicare too, and I don't even bother getting the strips prescription - they'll only pay for one test per day, so I pay out-of-pocket too.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hello Pat - welcome to DF. Isn't it weird that medical professionals think we're being obsessive & compulsive when we tend to the diet details that will save our very lives?! And when your A1c came back 6.9, what did the doc say about it? He didn't offer a diagnosis? Incredible! I'm so glad you have a mind of your own! :D :D :D

I hope you have time to visit us often . . . looking forward to getting better acquainted! :smile:

p.s. I'm on Medicare too, and I don't even bother getting the strips prescription - they'll only pay for one test per day, so I pay out-of-pocket too.
Shanny, I'm not new...I've been on here since about July 1 last year and was until yesterday or mid-night a "Member", but I couldn't get on today, so just rejoined giving the same information I did in July and since you are a moderator, I thought you'd want to know about it...no telling how many other members are in the same boat. The sad thing is that I asked about ALA being used and in what dosages and was hoping I'd get some good info about it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny, I'm not new...I've been on here since about July 1 last year and was until yesterday or mid-night a "Member", but I couldn't get on today, so just rejoined giving the same information I did in July and since you are a moderator, I thought you'd want to know about it...no telling how many other members are in the same boat. The sad thing is that I asked about ALA being used and in what dosages and was hoping I'd get some good info about it.
I'm glad you explained it and here is a link for you to contact Bob, our administrator: Contact Us I bet he can find your first account once you give him the name, etc., and might even be able to combine the posts from both so you won't lose any data. He's a great guy - give it a try.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Thanks, Shanny...DONE!:)

My doctor did not say anything to me and I got my prior years blood work reports and it did show a trend upward and he'd never mentioned it to me. However, in a post visit, he told me how proud he was of me and that at 72, he figured it was a normal progression. He says so many patients ignore his advice at my age and also, it had never been that high before in fasting blood work (never an A1C tho').
I was married to a doctor until his death and so maybe I'm more forgiving, but I saw him really suffer when a patient did not follow his advice. He even had to 'fire' one once because of his feelings about that. They are human in the end and also have feelings of rejection. At least mine did respond positively to me and is being as helpful as can be, except Medicare's rules have his hands tied in some cases and that's getting worse daily!

G

·
Thanks, Shanny...DONE!:)

My doctor did not say anything to me and I got my prior years blood work reports and it did show a trend upward and he'd never mentioned it to me. However, in a post visit, he told me how proud he was of me and that at 72, he figured it was a normal progression. He says so many patients ignore his advice at my age and also, it had never been that high before in fasting blood work (never an A1C tho').
I was married to a doctor until his death and so maybe I'm more forgiving, but I saw him really suffer when a patient did not follow his advice. He even had to 'fire' one once because of his feelings about that. They are human in the end and also have feelings of rejection. At least mine did respond positively to me and is being as helpful as can be, except Medicare's rules have his hands tied in some cases and that's getting worse daily!
yeah I like it when you can see your doc geniunely cares. My doc I've been seeing for past 8 years or so... he will admit to me he doesn't know everything... but he sure tries to get things figured out and he asks other docs he works with for help. He also gives me sample packs a lot as he keeps commenting to me "you're already spending a fortune at the chemist".... I really recognise he's human like you're saying as the poor thing even spent his entire weekend one time trying to figure out what could be going on with me... he's never had a patient like me before he says. He's been a doc for over 30 years. lol.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Red Faced...

All of you who read this, forgive me. Shanny got the situation figured out and I'm very red faced now. I belong to another board also with a similar name and so, I'm going to post to the Newbies and properly introduce myself.

Please forgive me for wasting your bandwidth...

Red Faced Pat:eek:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Pat, don't be red faced, I did the same thing a few years ago. I didn't realise there were 2 forums with almost the exact same name. I kept using my password and nothing happened, so I reregistered. Well, then I found out they were 2 different sites. Oh Well, I am so glad I found this one and welcome to our group.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Thanks, it was embarrassing because I recognized many names and just thought the software had been updated and I'd not been notified. Both seem good sites and I need all the information I can get. You are one of the ones I knew. Thanks for writing me. My face is still red!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts