The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was diagnosed yesterday with a strong milk allergy. I've tried whey shakes once and they made my lips swell and my mouth uncomfortable for several hours. I eat cheese every day and have no problem with it, so I'm wondering if the whey is the part that contains the protein? The doctor said it is the protein that causes the reaction. I consider cheese high protein, but now I'm confused totally.

He did not tell me to quit eating cheese, but to not drink whole milk. I already knew I was lactose intolerant, but had used Lactaid milk until I went low carb.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i've poked around and asked some people on a larger list about whey and it seems it is the problem. Someone told me to hunt some egg protein for my shakes and eggs are fine for me, it seems, to just in case anyone else has the same problem, I thought I'd share the info here.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My mom is lactose intolerant . She can eat cheese but has to buy the Lactose free type of milk and cottage cheese. I never thought about whey powder but it is comes from milk so could be a problem. When I became diabetic we switched to unsweet coconut milk because it has a lot fewer carbs and tastes great. I think the reason most people that have problems with milk can tolerate the cheese and yogurt is because of the process used in making them.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being allergic and intolerant are different, but making the cheese from it releases the whey to a large extent. It seems I'm both of them, so I'm going to try the egg protein so that I can have a smoothie some, and try to use it to cook also...since so many recipes call for whey powder as an ingredient.

So you are right about the process used in making them. I thought I was just intolerant and used Lactaid, but as the doctor told me, since I'm allergic to the protein also, I was still having the whey and that was why my stomach didn't bother me anymore, my nose stayed stopped up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts