The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
I use the silk or almond breeze, both to me seem as thick as or thicker than whole milk, I have had a carton in the fridge for several weeks without it going bad, in fact I have never had one go bad (I buy the carton in the refridgerated section, not the room temp shelf version). My favorite is mixing some heavy creme in and some sugar free chocolate syrup, taste like a cookies and cream milk shake.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I use the silk or almond breeze, both to me seem as thick as or thicker than whole milk, I have had a carton in the fridge for several weeks without it going bad, in fact I have never had one go bad (I buy the carton in the refridgerated section, not the room temp shelf version). My favorite is mixing some heavy creme in and some sugar free chocolate syrup, taste like a cookies and cream milk shake.
awww Stewchi...why did you do that..now you gonna have me looking for sugar free chocolate syrup!!!! I tried the almond milk this morning plain..I liked it the almond breeze brand.....I suppose i can use the heavy cream for cooking also like my pancakes and oatmeal?

I'm gonna get cream today I can imagine what a dash will do in the almond milk.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
awww Stewchi...why did you do that..now you gonna have me looking for sugar free chocolate syrup!!!! I tried the almond milk this morning plain..I liked it the almond breeze brand.....I suppose i can use the heavy cream for cooking also like my pancakes and oatmeal?

The Almond milk is good with a little cream in it. I know you are being hit with numerous things right now, but you may want to consider using a low carb pancake recipe and the fake oatmeal recipe on this site, just saying.

Oatmeal for me is 1/4 ground flaxseed to Almond meal, in boiling water with Coconut oil and salt. Usually the combined mix is around 4/1 say like grits. Bring to a boil, stir. I add cinn, Splenda, walnuts, then butter and heavy cream on top, I like it better than oatmeal myself.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
mcseccne said:

My grocery store sells walden farms chocolate and caramel syrup in the ice cream syrup section and their pancake syrups in the pancake aisle. When I want chocolate milk I just add the syrup to my heavy cream. Very good flavor and close to a Wendy's frosty in taste and texture.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My grocery store sells walden farms chocolate and caramel syrup in the ice cream syrup section and their pancake syrups in the pancake aisle. When I want chocolate milk I just add the syrup to my heavy cream. Very good flavor and close to a Wendy's frosty in taste and texture.

Sent from my iPhone
so David ...You just drink the cream? i haven't bought it yet. I went to a store but it was almost$5 for a quart. so I'm gonna get it from Walmart. I saw somewhere today where almond breeze makes a unsweetened chocolate almond milk....

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
mcseccne said:
so David ...You just drink the cream? i haven't bought it yet. I went to a store but it was almost$5 for a quart. so I'm gonna get it from Walmart. I saw somewhere today where almond breeze makes a unsweetened chocolate almond milk....
Yep. Grocery here sells it in half pint cartons for a buck each. Just like drinking milk back in school. Lol

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The Almond milk is good with a little cream in it. I know you are being hit with numerous things right now, but you may want to consider using a low carb pancake recipe and the fake oatmeal recipe on this site, just saying.

Oatmeal for me is 1/4 ground flaxseed to Almond meal, in boiling water with Coconut oil and salt. Usually the combined mix is around 4/1 say like grits. Bring to a boil, stir. I add cinn, Splenda, walnuts, then butter and heavy cream on top, I like it better than oatmeal myself.
MCS hold that thought..LOL I will want to revisit this at some point im sure..but man i just have so much to learn watch become aware of etc...I know im messing up on the pancake but man I'm doing good to even eat regularly so i will tackle that soon but i thought the old fashioned style oatmeal was a good thing...I know yours is better just from the flaxseed i take two flaxseed gel capsules a day. I usually make the oatmeal my last snack/meal of the night.

I bought splenda $7 worth...... then i learned of Stevia bought the $7 bag of it and I haven't touched the splenda

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oatmeal is right in there with all the other grains that cause our blood sugar to soar . . . corn, wheat, oats, rice, barley, etc., etc. :(

Apologies to Wilford Brimley, but oatmeal is not so healthy for us diabetics.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
mcseccne said:
MCS hold that thought..LOL I will want to revisit this at some point im sure..but man i just have so much to learn watch become aware of etc...I know im messing up on the pancake but man I'm doing good to even eat regularly so i will tackle that soon but i thought the old fashioned style oatmeal was a good thing...I know yours is better just from the flaxseed i take two flaxseed gel capsules a day. I usually make the oatmeal my last snack/meal of the night.

I bought splenda $7 worth...... then i learned of Stevia bought the $7 bag of it and I haven't touched the splenda
Most of us find oatmeal sends our BGs to the moon. If I ate it before bed my BG would be way up there in the morning. Even with a bolus of insulin :/

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Oatmeal is right in there with all the other grains that cause our blood sugar to soar . . . corn, wheat, oats, rice, barley, etc., etc. :(

Apologies to Wilford Brimley, but oatmeal is not so healthy for us diabetics.
Wow... I'm glad this came up i was getting to buy the big canister of it when i go to Walmart ...hmmm guess ill have to find something else...i been eating it now ill have to remember what i was doing at night before the oatmeal took over

Ill bet you'll never guess who told me about oatmeal...It was the diabetic teacher that spent roughly 1 hour with me maybe 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
mcseccne said:
Wow... I'm glad this came up i was getting to buy the big canister of it when i go to Walmart ...hmmm guess ill have to find something else...i been eating it now ill have to remember what i was doing at night before the oatmeal took over

Ill bet you'll never guess who told me about oatmeal...It was the diabetic teacher that spent roughly 1 hour with me maybe 1.5 hours.
I was told the same thing from the dietician. I just smiled and said ok. I had already met these wonderful folks here so I knew better. Only went because my insurance company required it as part of the approval for my pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

21 - 33 of 33 Posts