The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Make sure when removing the blue protective sleeve on the minimed quick set that you have rotated the cover 360 degrees until it has freed and will fall off in your hand. If not, then, when you remove the cover will force the needle back into the sleeving then compress the plastic tubing down to the diameter of the needle, as the needle is tapered on the end. If it pulls back to far then the tubing can bend over when inserted. The bend in the tube can be the result of the insertion at an angle where the needle is pushed thru the tubing. Note: when this occurs it will cause pain and bleeding during the insertion. So, anyone removing the quickset to see the end of the tubing rolled back, this is what may be causing the problem. The needle blocks any tissue from entering the sleeve during insertion, although, I have seen some blood under the microscope in the tube, but it doesn't affect the insulin flow. Visually, if you remove quickset and do a test insulin bolus it will not show an error, but with the combination of the restriction combined with the tissue is enough to create the blockage error. 99.9% of the bends you see are caused by belt/clothing rubbing, impacts or loose tape from body oils or sweat. I am now marking a line on the blue sleeve before rotation, testing at 90, 180, 270 and finally at 360 degrees before the cap disconnects so as to not cause the needle to recede. This is a test you can all do to verify the symptom mentioned, but don't pull hard just lift the infusion set by the cap to see if still attached. Update, I have tried using the serter device and noticed that you will see the same problems when removing the blue funnel needle cap, so be sure to rotate the cap a full 360 degrees or one full rotation as stated above. Verified using a microscope to inspect the needle! Update: this problem was also observed when using the minimed quick inserter, so be sure to make the 360 degree rotation before removing the protective sleeve. If are doing the manual insertion of the minimed quick set, limit the lift before insertion to less than 2 inches, as you can generate a lateral force causing the tubing to bend with a resulting blockage error message. It has now been over a month with no new blockage errors messages on my pump, while using only the quick mode to insert insulin.

·
Administrator
2,669 Posts
bwireman, thank you for your post. I believe the "cautionary tale" posts are among the most helpful we can have here. I hope you learned this information in a way that was not too injurious.

And welcome to our community! We're all about approaching diabetes management in different ways and supporting each other in the effort. Could you tell us more about how you manage your diabetes? We'd appreciate it if you would post in our New Member Introductions forum and give us a chance to get to know you better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts