The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything about Miracle Noodles? I just happened upon this and wondered if any else has seen them, or better yet, tried them? These noodles have no sugar, are gluten free, no starch, less than 1 gram of carbs. They are made from water and soluble fiber. It is an asian noodle and supposedly has been eaten in Asian areas for many, many years. It is supposed to be great for low carbers, diabetics, and people trying to lose weight. You don't even cook them! They are packaged in water, you drain them from the package and rinse, put on a paper towel, blot dry and use in your favorite recipes. I think I might order some and see if they are all that. Hey, a noodle with barely no carb in it, no sugar, only fiber? Sounds good to me!

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Shirataki noodles? A lot of people eat them, I've never had the courage to try because the description of the consistency and odor (though that goes away with rinsing) turned me off.

Reactions: Dodie37737 and foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Try 'em & see, Renee . . . they're a little more chewy - they aren't the pasta texture you're accustomed to - but they aren't bad. I haven't been able to find them around here very often, but I'd prob'ly use them more if they were available. What I did was chop through them a few times with either chef knife or scissors before adding to the food, because they were quite long and didn't cut readily on my plate, at least not with a fork like I expect a noodle to do. I've seen the regular shirataki noodles, and then I've also seen shirataki tofu noodles.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I eat the non tofu miracle noodles all the time...I think the trick is to rinse them under a hot water tap...and I dont cook them...I throw them into whatever sauce Im using for 30 seconds to a minute...just to heat through...

Miracle noodles are historically eaten in an Asian hotpot...they don't lose their shape...

The non tofu type are almost carb-free

The initial rinsing gets rid of the fishy smell from the water packaging

I have them with Mexican and Italian and Asian foods...

Reactions: Dodie37737 and foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I currently have 2 cases sitting in my pantry. They are different. Many are put off by the fishy odor when you open the package. I find if I soak them in a bowl of water for about 10 minutes and then drain and blot dry they work pretty good. They are made from a konjak yam and that is the reason they are so low carb. Plus it is soluble fiber so it expands in your digestive system after you eat it. I find they work best in spicey asian dishes. I also use them in soups. I don't specifically like them with tomato sauces. Check around for the best price. I buy mine from a place called Asian Food from Pocky to Miso | AsianFoodGrocer.com, Shirataki Noodles, Miso Soup They have flat rate shipping no matter how much you order. I actually prefer the brown seaweed Shiratake noodles.

·
Registered
741 Posts
you're so right the price varies so much....I found in the Japanese stores they're very expensive....in Korean stores they are way cheap...

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I found kelp noodles online, and much prefer them -- they are transparent, and CRUNCHY!

Better for Asian dishes, but mmmm ... and no fishy stink to rinse off!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think I'll stick to zucchini noodles in my pad thai ;)

The fishy smell would put me off completely. There are so many interesting foods out there though! We have a Global Market here and it's nothing but foods from almost every other country...very cool. We love just browsing... their produce prices can't be beat and they have ANYTHING you could want from fresh herbs to fresh coconuts to things I've never seen before. The dairy section is really cool too. If I need any ingredients for any international dishes, that's where I go...they have everything. Even spices are cheaper there...huge 1lb bags of them for $2-3.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses! I did order the sampler package that comes with 4 of each: Angel Hair, Fettucini, and rice. It was under $40 so I figured for 12 packages I would try it. If it ends up I like, I know we have Korean and Asian markets close by that I could check to see if they carry. If not, I have no problem ordering online. I actually prefer that method as I don't have to go running around the city then. I never thought to ask my nephew's girlfriend, who is Korean, if she eats them and if she likes them. I'll have to ask her when I see her next. I'm sure she probably has some authentic Korean dishes hubby and I could make with them too.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I found kelp noodles online, and much prefer them -- they are transparent, and CRUNCHY!

Better for Asian dishes, but mmmm ... and no fishy stink to rinse off!

I've never heard of kelp noodles....what do they taste like?

I never thought to ask my nephew's girlfriend, who is Korean, if she eats them and if she likes them. I'll have to ask her when I see her next. I'm sure she probably has some authentic Korean dishes hubby and I could make with them too.
Don't forget to share her recipes *hopeful face*

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The tofu version of Shiratake noodles have started to show up at our local Giant Stores. They are usually sold in the refrigerated section. I went through a phase where I ate them all the time, then I kind of burned out on them. I would like to try the kelp noodles. Where do you find them Linda?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The tofu version of Shiratake noodles have started to show up at our local Giant Stores. They are usually sold in the refrigerated section. I went through a phase where I ate them all the time, then I kind of burned out on them. I would like to try the kelp noodles. Where do you find them Linda?
I've read some things which convinced me that all soy products which are not fermented (miso, soy sauce and tempeh are fermented) are very bad for your health. Many scientists refer to components in unfermented soy as "anti-nutrients". I used to like tofu a lot, but I gave it up because of that.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't use the soy version for that very reason. I usually avoid most soy products as much as possible. Plus the other version of Shiratake noodles can be stored in a pantry cabinet for up to a year. One thing if you are going to order do it before winter, many places won't mail during freezing weather because the packages can freeze and break.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I don't use the soy version for that very reason. I usually avoid most soy products as much as possible. Plus the other version of Shiratake noodles can be stored in a pantry cabinet for up to a year. One thing if you are going to order do it before winter, many places won't mail during freezing weather because the packages can freeze and break.
The kelp ones are packed, dry. They are moist, but not in water. You soak them 5 min before adding dressing or cooking.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm sad to say I'm a coward ...

I bought a package of the miracle noodles (the shiritaki ones made from yam) and even after rinsing them for ... nearly forever ... I couldn't get past the smell and couldn't bring myself to try them. =(

Maybe in another day I'll be braver.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm sad to say I'm a coward ...

I bought a package of the miracle noodles (the shiritaki ones made from yam) and even after rinsing them for ... nearly forever ... I couldn't get past the smell and couldn't bring myself to try them. =(

Maybe in another day I'll be braver.
I got the tofu ones . stink, gummy,slimmy rubbery. out they went never to return. If I can't have the real thing , I just do without. :)
I heard to mash up cauliflower its a great
mashed potatoe sub. :p heck no it is not, its mashed up cauliflower. :becky:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I heard to mash up cauliflower its a great
mashed potatoe sub. :p heck no it is not, its mashed up cauliflower. :
LOL! But ... but ... loads of butter is the great equilizer. With enough butter, everything white and whipped tastes pretty great.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts