The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thumbing through post this morning and read where one of the members uses these. I cant find the post now but thank the person for the info. I ordered some on eBay for a fraction of the price found elsewhere. Can't wait to get it in so hubby can try it :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I used them quite a lot at first . They are a little different than regular noodles. They come packed in water. When you open them they smell like fish. Don't ask me why, there is no fish in them. They are made from a Konjac yam. What I usually do is drain the package and then soak in clean water for about 5 minutes then drain again and pat dry. I usually make a spicey sauce and throw in the noodles just at the end. I buy mine from Asian Food Grocer in California. They have a flat rate shipping charge. I prefer the ones made with seaweed. I usually use them in soups or Asian dishes, I don't like them with pasta sauces.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Donella, that was me! There are a few people on the forum who have used them. They are a nice alternative to noodles IMHO. I like them. Jwags is right though as far as when you open them they smell like fish...just put in a colander and rinse well. The package tells you to boil for about 1 minute, but you don't have to. You can use them right from the package. Rinse well, drain well, put on paper towels and pat dry. I will warn you though, they do stick to the paper towels. Perhaps if you put them on parchment paper or waxed paper, or even foil they won't stick. Pat dry and enjoy! I like them because they give you the feeling of eating pasta. Hope you like them!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Once you rinse it , the smell disappears. But many are put off initially by the smell. I think it is the way they package it that picks up the smell. I always open it over the sink and immediately pour off the fishy liquid and then soak them in a small bowl. The packages and serving size are small so sometimes I cook 2 packs for me and my husband. They really have no taste but pick up the flavor of what you are cooking. That is why I like spicey sauces with it or to throw it in spicey soup. Any kind of Thai dish would be good with it. There is a site I cannot remember the name but it is 101 Shiratake Noodle recipes. I think if you just google that you probably can find it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my rice in today when I make a Mexican dinner I am going to try to make a Spanish rice. I am glad y'all warned me about the fishy odor before I open them lol. Thanks for y'alls advice so much help :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use it often especially the Orzo variety to replace rice in most dishes. Works very well with curries and stews. Not too fond of the thicker noodles. The Orzo is very fine and you do not get the typical rubbery feel that you get from the Angel hair and other Miracle Noodles. I drain it in a sieve under running water, press out the water and then dry roast it to remove all the water and then it's ready for use. When it is dry it even has some flufflyness like rice.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just tried these for the second time. They DO go much better with a stir fry.

With some crunchy cabbage and some crunchy red peppers and a few snowpeas, you don't notice the extra firm texture of the noodles.

I fried up one teaspoon of crushed garlic and two teaspoons of crushed ginger in some canola oil. I added a half pound of pork strips, a chopped red pepper four or five chopped snow peas and a mess of sliced cabbage. Added three teaspoons of chinese black beans and a few good splashes of soy sauce (don't overdo it, as it will just drain to the bottom of the bowl. Then added noodles ans stirred for a couple of minutes.

It made three meals for me, I am a light eater.

I have often made stir fries in bulk and froze the bulk in disposable plastic tubs. But freezing is not kind to the testures of both cabbage and peppers. Frostbite AND microwaving turns them to mush, and looses a lot of water into your sauce.

So this time I put it all in a Tupperware bowl just in the fridge, and spooned out what I wanted. Just heating in the microwave is not so bad. I gave each bowl about 3 minutes on high. Cabbage and pepper textures still good.

d.

Reactions: jrney2

·
Registered
194 Posts
I came across these in my local health food store yesterday , I did notice a smell kinda like raw shrimp, I rinsed them well and cooked in boiling water for a few minutes . Then added some butter and garlic salt and sauteed for a bit. Wow ,it was great. one of my weakness is pasta,this may take its place

Wayne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts