The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in my 20's. For the first three months my primary care dr tried every pill under the sun with no real results. Finally he added insulin and that was the key. He then told me that I was an insulin dependant type 2. After years of this treatment with limited success I get pregnant. So I began to see an endocrinologist and he has diagnosed me as a type 1 (LADA). I am now on a pump and my A1C has gone from 9.4 to 5.6.
I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there that has walked this road ahead of me? Do you have any suggestions on diet that would be different than that used for a type 2?

·
Registered
633 Posts
With type 1 there really is no limit on what you can eat. It is just a matter of ballancing your carbs and your insulin intake which is a lot harder than it sounds.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well yes, I was labeled T2 and put on all the metabolic syndrome meds.

Do you also take metformin? It can keep your TDD of insulin much lower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well yes, I was labeled T2 and put on all the metabolic syndrome meds.

Do you also take metformin? It can keep your TDD of insulin much lower.
Before I got pregnant I was on Lantus, novolog, actos, and metformin. Right now I'm on novolog in my pump and nothing else. I'm assuming Dr will add something back after pregnancy.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello mama2b, welcome aboard, with bb on board! :)

There are many people misdiagnosed and then the correct type is discovered much later, some times years later. Type 2's are diagnosed as type 1, and type 1's are diagnosed as type 2's. These mistakes are usually made by GPs. An endocrinologist should always be consulted at the time of diagnosis and when the initial treatment is prescribed.

I have been type 1 for 65 years and I am doing very well. No complaints! Good luck to you and your baby 2b!

Richard

Reactions: Lily B

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I think Met is the only thing shown to reduce TDD in Type 1's. The other meds might lead to faster beta cell burnout, which the met theoretically prevents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts