The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I want to say Hi to all of my friends here that I have abandoned for some time. I am in the Air Conditioning business and my work load just has not allowed me to get here and post like I would like to. I did check in from time to time. So Hi to all and the new people that have signed up.

I went in for my yearly check up. Not my physical but my diabetes check and cholesterol test. My results are in my signature.

Because of a major mistake in my eating habits and calorie counting the last two months I seriously was afraid to go in. I have gain 25 of my 84 pounds back due to starving myself which resulted in eating all kinds of junk that would raise a persons Blood Sugar and was sure my A1c would be extremely high. I expected my A1c to be way up and it was not. I also was afraid that I had a bad meter due to the fact I never really ever had any high results or even after eating a large piece of Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheese Cake testing 1 hour 105, 2 hour 110 and 3 hour 102.

Sitting down with the Doctor after my results were in she just sat there going through her computer and reading stuff. I was waiting for her to chew me out. Finally after about ten minutes she asked me how I was doing. I explained to her my hunger pains, some dizziness and that I gained weight back. I also told her of my exercises that I have kept up with. I then explained to her my eating habits and my calorie intake and yes at that point she did chew me out because I was eating way too low of calories per day and felt my body had shut down or rebelled. After discussion of how to eat she made the comment "I think we miss-diagnosed you". Huh??? She said yes but your A1c was so high when you came in. Keep in mind I was diagnosed when I entered the hospital through the emergency room with a bowel obstruction. The bowl obstruction I told her probably was putting stress on my body for a month before I came in which may have been the reason for the high A1c. I have not any insulin since May of 2010.

But there is that Silver Lining. I am healthier and leading an active life style. And you know diabetes runs through my family. Just maybe I got lucky and got a pre-scare heading it off for a few years. I don't know. I plan on staying the course as a diabetic.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Awesome news! I feel like you also, I will never go back to my old way of eating even if there is a cure. I have to do this for my chidlren and teach them the right way to eat! Now, if I can just get this exercise down pat......................

·
Registered
554 Posts
That is great news! Just curious what was you bgl upon entering the hospital? Wow, wish I had that chance! Smart to keep eating like a diabetic, it may keep it away forever!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I can't remember the exact numbers and I was not given a A1c but an average number.

I believe I was 260 with a 3 month average of 225. Was in the hospital for almost a week immediately was prescribe 3 Novolog shots per day and 1 Lantus per day. By the time I left the hospital they told me to stop the Novolog. A month later prior to losing much weight I stopped taking the Lantus.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
That is great news. My HbA1c is also 5.3 but I have to use Metformin to keep it there which is difficult some days. Just the idea of eating a piece of chocolate cake has me drooling.

Reactions: thisstinks

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
There hasn't been a day, I haven't felt - I wish I had a chance like this.

Great for you. Congrats. I hope you can keep D away for ever !

·
Registered
690 Posts
There hasn't been a day, I haven't felt - I wish I had a chance like this.

Great for you. Congrats. I hope you can keep D away for ever !
I feel the same way! My A1C was 5.4 the week before my glucose tolerance test. I keep hoping they will tell me they confused my zGTT results with someone elses and I don't really have diabetes. Still mad because I didn't have GD with either of my children and they are 5 and 3. My anxiety tells me something else is wrong with me to have it come on this fast and without warning. GRRR!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Murph? You ornery pup, you! ;) It couldn't happen to a nicer guy & I hope you'll still come around now & again to tell us you're still D-free!

Those numbers are incredible! Can't believe that flyin' leap your HDL took - it's HARD to get HDL increased! Nice drop in triglycerides too - you're looking great!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Murph? You ornery pup, you! ;) It couldn't happen to a nicer guy & I hope you'll still come around now & again to tell us you're still D-free!

Those numbers are incredible! Can't believe that flyin' leap your HDL took - it's HARD to get HDL increased! Nice drop in triglycerides too - you're looking great!
Shanny I don't think I am going anyplace. I just need to get through this hot summer we are experiencing. When things go back normal I plan on getting around here now and then. I can be a good coach if anything. As I said there is a silver lining and I am not home free. Family history and my weight I carried for so many years tell me I am not so today I say I am diabetic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts