The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered the Mission Brand Carb Balance Tortillas which are supposedly 6g of net Carb per huge tortilla. I guess it has like 26g of dietary fiber in it to offset the total carb count. However, I keep feeling like it is spiking my sugar. Anyone else experience this, or is it something else I'm eating with them that is messing me up?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I've tried several tortillas - from the lowest carb in the local grocery (might've ben Mission, don't recall) to mail-order Mama Lupe's, and I have problems with them. The only time I tolerated them was when I would lightly oven-toast one and then load it with cheese and pizza toppings.

It became too much work to try and dance around, so I don't eat them. But - when winter comes, will probably do an occasional pizza.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
What you may be feeling is the same as me. I just can not eat LC processed foods. They take to long for me to digest or something. I will not get a spike but my BG will elevate 10-15 pts and stay there for hours on end. I just have learned to avoid them. I have eaten plain Tort, get a big spike, recover in an hour, and its over with.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh

ahh so I'm not crazy afterall :) Although I wish they had worked out. It just didn't seem to make sense based off what I was eating how my sugar was behaving.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The only ones I can do is the Flat Out Flaxseed ones. I can stay in the low 100's usually. I think some of the LC tortillas have a lot of wheat in them which seems to be inflammatory to me, at least. The fiber is supposed to offeset the carbs but often the fiber is processed too. I have started to make my own flaxseed muffins and bagels to use as bread, then I don't have to worry about wierd chemical stuff inside.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Low-Carb tortillas don't seem to spike me, but I ALWAYS have mine with high-fat fillings/toppings whenever I can. I usually have them as a breakfast burrito or a low-carb pizza now. (When I do sandwich wraps I usually do lettuce as the wrap now.)

Also, I've lowered my carb intake now, and I'm pretty sure I'm in a constant state of reduced glycogen (due to my exercise levels) - as such much of my fairly-low carb intake goes to glycogen stores instead of blood glucose.

Reactions: Dodie37737
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.