1 Scoop low-carb protein powder
1 Scoop glutamine
3-4 Medium frozen strawberries
4 fresh organic baby carrots
small handful of fresh organic baby spinach
packet stevia
2 ice cubes
3/4 cup water

But as I was looking for my carrots, I spotted some leftover heavy/whipping cream ... and ... yup, I poured about 1/4C into the mix...

OMG it was so smooth, lol. Amazingly that little 1/4C added about 200 extra calories, but I did work-out a little more than I planned, so felt GREAT about adding it, :)

So much smoother a smoothie... was very CREAMY for some reason. :)

... happy now. Had to share.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Incredible ingredient, isn't it?! heheh! And it doesn't take much of it to make a huge impact! :D

I've used it my whole life & gotten thoroughly spoiled - I almost (but not quite) thank heaven for diabetes & low-carbing which justifies using it now. ;) But as a young homemaker, I had access to raw milk which I skimmed & saved the cream. Most of it I used to churn butter, but it was always handy for other things too. You just haven't lived until you've cooked with real cream! I know because there were a few years in the interim that I forsook heavy cream & would use canned milk in an effort to cut calories but maintain the richness (yeah I know - foolish woman! :eek:).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have fresh real cream back on the farm when I was young - we had a few milk cows, just enough for the extended family (which was basically 3 families in total), and one of my chores was milking the cows. (One of them would only take to milking by hand, so I got to squirt it at the cats, they quite enjoyed that...)

So we separated our own cream and had fresh cream all the time...

Now my cream comes from the grocery store... it's quite different.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I remember my first mother-in-law occasionally having cream so thick you could poke a (clean!) spoon in the jar & it would hold upright - just like in a jar of mayonnaise! And pity the poor soul who got careless & contaminated her cream! Off with your head! :eek:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I buy heavy cream by the half gallon at Costco and use it in everything. It really smoothes out the ingredients. I love your recipe. What does the glutamine do ? Is that to rebuild muscles?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts