The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw my new hepatologist and got good news! I'm finally allowed to take OTC medications again such as pain killers, decongestants, etc. It's been a looooong 10 months without ever being able to pop a pill for a migraine or get some help unstuffing my head.

I've also been cleared to take vitamins. I just started taking GABA, Magnesium, Potassium and Vitamin D. I'm a science experiment of one. :D

She also ordered up a liver ultrasound which I'm doing next week. I'm so glad to have finally found a doctor who doesn't just look at my labs and go "huh, are you SURE you don't drink?"

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got back my liver ultrasound and blood tests back. My liver looks great! :) Only my ALT was out-of-range but only by 20 pts, everything else is in-range for the first time in years. This was my first ultrasound, so I don't have anything to compare it to but there was no scaring, fatty deposits or damage.

So still have no clue what was wrong with it for all those years but I guess I can credit either getting my BG under control or the new low-carb diet for curing it. Otherwise nothing else really changed.

The only negative was that my kidneys were enlarged. The lab report chalked it up to "overweight" so hopefully that won't be a problem for me in the future.

I finally get to remove my retarded liver from my sig, one disease down 2 more to go! YAY!!!! :flypig:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is splendid! And by the way, sweet geek, I finally had time to prowl around your site & enjoyed myself immensely! :D

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is splendid! And by the way, sweet geek, I finally had time to prowl around your site & enjoyed myself immensely! :D
I'm glad you liked it! I was a bit nervous linking to it as the site and blog are quite new and I've never really done much online writing before. However after a roller coaster of a year health wise I have a ton of info filed away in the old noggin' and wanted to share it with whoever I can convince to listen. :p

Now if only I knew what caused the liver issues I would write about that too!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Daytona - well done. Seriously.

The cholesterol/heart disease issues have been been difficult for me to wrap my brain around, and bringing it to basics is helpful. Something I didn't know is that as LDL fluffy ages, it becomes dense ... Something I still don't know is what is the lifespan of either, i.e. how long it can take to shift one's (presumably in my case) small dense number to more large fluffy.

Great job.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Daytona - well done. Seriously.

The cholesterol/heart disease issues have been been difficult for me to wrap my brain around, and bringing it to basics is helpful. Something I didn't know is that as LDL fluffy ages, it becomes dense ... Something I still don't know is what is the lifespan of either, i.e. how long it can take to shift one's (presumably in my case) small dense number to more large fluffy.

Great job.
Thanks! I stole all of my understanding from Chris Masterjohn (a biochemist) and Wikipedia. :D So if you are really interested in geeking out, I highly recommend listening to this interview with Chris. I found it to be easier to digest than his web site, though I eventually learned enough to understand that too.

The Healthy Skeptic Podcast #11 Interview with Chis Masterjohn on Cholesterol and Heart Disease (Part 1)
The Healthy Skeptic Podcast #16 Interview with Chis Masterjohn on Cholesterol and Heart Disease (Part 2)

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anyone wants to share their favorite liver recipe, I'm all for it. The "ideal" Daytona eats all pastured meats, organs, bone broth, marrow and exotic vegetables like bell peppers. The Odd Bits is a cookbook on my Christmas list. :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I never got past fixing liver with a light breading & fried in bacon grease. Piled high with crisp bacon & tender onions also sautéed in the bacon grease. And if I don't fix it often enough, my everlovin' reminds me! :p

And I heartily agree, the "odd bits" are some of the tastiest delicacies on the menu.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I never got past fixing liver with a light breading & fried in bacon grease. Piled high with crisp bacon & tender onions also sautéed in the bacon grease. And if I don't fix it often enough, my everlovin' reminds me! :p

And I heartily agree, the "odd bits" are some of the tastiest delicacies on the menu.
Exactly the way we make it. Love, love, love liver!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My grandma fries it and serves it with apples&onions that have this "caramel taste" and lots and lots of mashed potatoes :D

I weigh the mashed potatoes and just multiply it by .15 to get a good carb count.
Mashed potatoes are really "fast" and I usually eat at least 300g of it which gives me 45g + estimated 10g for the apple= 55g carbs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts