Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK
It's been 6 months since I got the news

Dropped a boat load of weight
54 pounds in the first 3 months

Last 3 months
... doubled the cardio, running faster, longer ... dieting even smarter, whatever it takes ... and added 3 pounds

Talk about pla toe ing (how do u spell this?)

Dietician said I can have 240 grams of carbs per day but I rarely use up half that

A diabetic infidel tried to tell me today I need to use the full 240 grams to lose some more weight - really?

I am six foot three and my BMI is supposed to be 182 pounds
I am 225 today

I can not work any harder than I am right now

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

KB

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That would be "plateauing", I believe. :D

My experience with weight loss is limited, but my guess would be that you're converting fat to muscle, and muscle is heavier. If you aren't using a tape measure, you could start, or you could just recognize if your clothing continues to get looser and looser!

I can't imagine how ANYone would expect you to ingest 240g of carb per day, and maintain safe blood sugars. Metformin is a terrific drug, but it ain't THAT good! :eek:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yes, I have to agree with Shanny. The small weight gain is most likely building of muscle. Thats a lot of carbs to consume in one day. I dont eat that many carbs and I take metformin and insulin. Start measuring with a tape measure instead of just relying on the scale and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. Sounds like you are doing a great job to me!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correction - 220 per day not 240
That's what the Dieticians from the Diabetic Hospital told me to follow

I have been buying new belts and new clothes and the local ladies seem to compliment my new body so I know everything is working

I just don't know how I can get down to 182 pounds

So, in your opinion my friend is wrong and that you find 220g per day excessive?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Correction - 220 per day not 240
That's what the Dieticians from the Diabetic Hospital told me to follow

I have been buying new belts and new clothes and the local ladies seem to compliment my new body so I know everything is working

I just don't know how I can get down to 182 pounds

So, in your opinion my friend is wrong and that you find 220g per day excessive?
It would be excessive for *me*. We are all different and we can all handle different amounts of carbs. The only way to tell how many carbs your body can handle is simply to test your blood sugars around your meals and see if it is making it too high after you eat.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yep - what Pam said! (I'm just following her around today, agreeing all over the place - letting her do all the heavy lifting! heheh! :D)

I go by my meter, and anything over about 60g of carbs per day puts my numbers out of my target range of 80-130. Your own mileage may vary, of course, due to level of activity, diet & meds, etc.

If you're still shrinking, I wouldn't worry about what the scale says. Now if you need me to send you a pair of suspenders, just say the word!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I will follow behind Pam & Shanny! You have more muscle now and it weighs more than fat. Get out the tape measure and you will probably see a difference. It sounds like you have done a great job and you should be proud of yourself. As far as the carb intake, you will have to see how your body responds to more carbs. If you are exercising, you can burn off some of those carbs. If you have hit a plateau, keep at it, your body will eventually adjust and you will start losing weight again. Make sure to have a scale that measures pounds and ounces. Your weight loss has slowed down and only a scale with ounces can let you know if you have lost a little. Just knowing that you have lost a little will keep you motivated. :)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
220g of carbs a DAY? :eek::eek::eek:

thats a good WEEK for me! ha

but yes, you can drop more weight. i started out at 6'2" 268 and got down to 181. my dr has told me to stop losing and just maintain now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts