1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Very well written article. Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I liked one of the comments below the article:

Some good pointers to live by: If it has a barcode don't buy it. If it's advertised on TV, don't buy it. If it originates from plants buy it, but if it's made in a plant don't buy it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
It's nice to see that we are no longer swimming against the current.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and Timothy Noakes, a highly-respected Professor of Exercise and Sports Medicine at the University of Cape Town, South Africa is under attack in his own country by the dietitians of South Africa for his stand on LCHF. This is not mentioned in this article, but has been in the news.

I am also very happy that more doctors and professionals are taking a stand and promoting LCHF against the dietitians. I keep finding more of these professionals and am happy that I do.

Yes, VeeJay, there are several excellent comments to the article and this is also encouraging. Maybe in the next ten years to tide will turn in our favor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I was first diagnosed I looked at ADA recommendations. Then couple of days later a good friend of mine came to check on me and asked me what I was eating. She was appalled. She is an M.D. and right away she told me to drop my carbs at 30 PER DAY, not per meal as ADA recommends. So yes, there are some good docs out there! I wish Kaiser had some of those, but so far, no luck with Kaiser docs.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I've got Kaiser.

Kaiser docs who are responsible for making individual diet recommendations are (in all Regions I know of) required to spout outdated ADA recommendations.

In-patients are fed carbs, and little else. (No sugar, though. Just 'healthy' whole grains, sweet fruit and zero fat.)

When they're not held directly responsible ... Kaiser medical personnel will applaud your choices. I've seen this for myself and for my husband.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I too am with Kaiser and second what Shalynne said.

When I was first diagnosed I asked my doc to sign me up for nutrition classes through Kaiser. She was very hesitant and now I understand why.

After I found the LCHF way of eating and told her, she indicated to me she doesn't agree with Kaiser's stand on carbs but couldn't really tell me otherwise. She's on 100% on board with how I'm doing things - it just took a little time to get there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You guys are lucky. My doc was not only pushing me to go through their nutritionist, but also mentioned I should watch Forks Over Knives.
I told her I didn't need help, so after my latest A1C result, she decided to leave me alone.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yes, and Timothy Noakes, a highly-respected Professor of Exercise and Sports Medicine at the University of Cape Town, South Africa is under attack in his own country by the dietitians of South Africa for his stand on LCHF. This is not mentioned in this article, but has been in the news.

I am also very happy that more doctors and professionals are taking a stand and promoting LCHF against the dietitians. I keep finding more of these professionals and am happy that I do.

Yes, VeeJay, there are several excellent comments to the article and this is also encouraging. Maybe in the next ten years to tide will turn in our favor.
I see a GP for my diabetes care and when I asked her about LCHF, she told me 'unofficially' that she definitely believes in it and the good it does for us....however.....that conversation was "off the record" which I thought was kind of sad. Even though I am type 1 and my carb consumption is higher than many people on this forum, I still can see the benefits of following this way of eating to the best of my ability.

Reactions: MaJoie

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you. It was an interesting article. Really enjoyed it. I used to get skim milk, low fat everything. Never could keep the weight off. Then one day I decided the real thing had to be healthier than the artificially lower fat versions and made the switch. Still significantly over weight, but no heavier than when I was using low fat.

I am curious though. How many carbs daily is considered low carb? I am currently eating around 160 carbs daily give or take a few. Doing this I have been very successful in bringing my sugar levels down to normal levels.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you. It was an interesting article. Really enjoyed it. I used to get skim milk, low fat everything. Never could keep the weight off. Then one day I decided the real thing had to be healthier than the artificially lower fat versions and made the switch. Still significantly over weight, but no heavier than when I was using low fat.

I am curious though. How many carbs daily is considered low carb? I am currently eating around 160 carbs daily give or take a few. Doing this I have been very successful in bringing my sugar levels down to normal levels.
Less than 50 grams per day depending on your sensibility.

Reactions: RobertIA and MaJoie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Graou is right - you need to get at or under 50g per DAY, to consider it low-carb. But low-carb is not normally sustainable without the high-fat part. When you remove the carbs which have been your fuel for energy, you then need to provide a different better fuel for energy and that is fats. When you get rid of the carbs, and get the fats high enough, your body then converts from a glucose-based energy system, to a ketones-based energy system, which is much better especially for diabetics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, LCHF isn't the diet plan that I used. I used a variant of Roy Taylor's 600/calorie a day diet and it worked for me, in 8 weeks my blood sugar levels had normalized and I lost a couple of pounds along the way. The diet basically still functions the same way but with better meal plans since it was developed by a chef.

You guys can look it up and tell me what you think or Pm me :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Could you please tell us about your experience with this? It looks like starvation to me. How can it be sustainable? What happens to blood sugar when one goes off this "diet"?

·
Super Moderator
9,533 Posts
Your not by chance selling Optifast are you?

Reactions: MaJoie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, it's a variant but it's not the exact thing. See, David, the guy who made this, is a chef. So he took Dr. Taylor's research and added his own twist to it, he basically made the whole thing balanced and he factored in the time that you would eat.

As for my own experience, it was difficult at first. I had to adjust to a new diet plan, my body had to get used to the intake and the meal schedules. I'm going to admit it's not for everyone because I actually had to commit to the meal plans and the meal schedules so, I guess yeah, I could say it worked for me. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts