The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in our last episode, an incomplete cholesterol panel was ordered for me (tacked on to the diabetes type testing I'd originally asked for), along with much entreaty to start Simvastatin.

Those diabetes tests slowly trickled in. They finally arrived sometime this evening. I can see the results online, which is seriously cool.

So I go a-clicking. Every blessed result -- including the older ones, and the diabetes results -- has a comment attached, starting with "Your cholesterol is way too high ...," along with an urgent request for me to pick up the Simvastatin NOW, and report for blood tests every few weeks.

About my non-cholesterol-related testing? Not. One. Word.

There's a kicker. Right on my HMO's home page sits an article. Its title? FDA recommends limiting use of simvastatin (Zocor, Vytorin, Simcor) due to risk of muscle injury.

Oh, yeah ... according to my independent interpretation of the diabetes type test results, I'm definitely a Type 2. Nice to know that. At least, I think that's what I know.

:mad:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oooooo! That's infuriating! All the more so because it's so blatant & transparent. Is there anyone there you know well enough to have a little heart-to-heart chat with? Someone who might actually order a complete lipids panel??

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Does your Dr. not read the many articles stating there is NO benefit to statins for women? Ever?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an HMO. They basically practice medicine-by-agenda, so I don't know if changing my personal practitioner would do one bit of good. Might try it anyway, just for jollies.

Beefy ... apparently she does not read her employer's home page. That, and/or the HMO does not circulate the newest info.

Shanny ... can I borrow your sweet little emoticon? I'll keep it entertained, I promise! :whistle:

Your support means a lot to me!

Reactions: foxl

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Heh - I like this one
... the way I used to eat carbs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Surely there is some forum rule about no sax or violins???

LOL

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm really not sure if doctors read all those new studies at all. They are so driven by the drug industry and their research. When I pushed back on statins my doctor told me all his doctor friends used Statins so they must be good. After I went off them and told him about my muscle injuries he decided to tell me about all his other patients that had problems. It would have been nice if he shared that with me in the beginning. I have a good tennis friend who is on statins and I warned her. She talked to her cardiologist and her cardiologist basically told her the muscle damage is such a small percentage and we should just live with the pain. Well, mine wasn't minor pain and it was totally destroying my life. If I had stayed on them much longer I am sure I would have been disabled in a wheel chair. Doctors need to wake up.

Reactions: Shalynne and Shanny

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heh - I like this one
... the way I used to eat carbs.
Ooooohhhh, yeah. But only for dessert, following a well-balanced lunch.

Surely there is some forum rule about no sax or violins???

LOL

Frank, I do believe you're right!

That's cool. Percussion's more my thing, anyway.

:drum:

:drum:

Hmmmm ... one of these things is not like the others ...

Reactions: fgummett

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Ooooohhhh, yeah. But only for dessert, following a well-balanced lunch.
Mrs. ShottleBop and I took our grandkids to the San Diego County Fair yesterday. According to a sign I saw on one of the booths in the Exhibit Hall, a balanced meal is a big ol' cookie in each hand.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mrs. ShottleBop and I took our grandkids to the San Diego County Fair yesterday. According to a sign I saw on one of the booths in the Exhibit Hall, a balanced meal is a big ol' cookie in each hand.
But ... but ... if both hands are full of cookie, where'll the milkshake go?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts